Mastery or Variety?

Started by
10 comments, last by Trandafira 16 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by UltraJethro

People like Garry Kasparov are bums? I learned something important today.

Learn something else while you're at it -- most people who dedicate themselves to chess are not like Gary Kasparov. [wink]

Erm when I said people like Garry Kasparov, I meant people who, like Garry Kasparov, dedicate themselves to a game. Thus, in that sense they are, in fact, exactly like Garry Kasparov. I must apologize for being unclear.

The point I was trying (completely unsuccessfully) to make was that the vast majority of people who dedicate themselves to chess (or any comparable game) have a job to support them or can play chess well enough to make money at it. There are very few people who are even close to being homeless because they dedicated themselves to mastering a game. If this is not what was meant by "bum", it would be nice if the person who made that statement could provide me with what he really meant by it.
Perhaps dedicating themselves to it is not the right wording though, because I was using that simply to mean making a goal out of mastering it. Yes, I think dedication is different, because that might imply that you put it over something like your wife and children, which is not at all what I meant. I'll change the first post to reflect the new wording, if that is alright. Again, I must apologize.

Also, Driv3MeFar: I wasn't implying that people should judge the quality of their lives based entirely on the games they played; only that the games a person plays do have some small effect on the quality of their life. Otherwise, there is no reason to play games. If you agree with that statement, I find it strange that you're in a forum on a game development site... or maybe most game developers think the product they're making provides nothing worthwhile to its consumers, like they're selling drugs or something. I don't know.

Edit: And... let's go ahead and open it up to art and other skills too. No real reason to make it just about games, plus some people seem to prefer that it be about art and such too, and it's the same basic question to me.

[Edited by - UltraJethro on October 25, 2007 8:32:25 PM]
Advertisement
*tries to get deep and meaningful about the subject*

I don't think it matters. A close friend of mine once said that a persons life is a journey to their death. No matter how bad life gets, or how well it goes the only thing that really matters are the things that you experience while your there, 'cause it's not like your going to care when your dead right? =P
(don't turn this into an afterlife debate, i have my opinion and you have yours lets respect each others =D)

I would then say that to me personally the best way to experience during this journey is to experience as many different things as possible ie. variety. This would be so that i have a greater understanding of other peoples perspectives and i am more able to relate how they feel/interpret.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement