Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DvDmanDT

[.net] Remote debugging in XP home

This topic is 4016 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hi, remote debugging of C# is not possible in XP home (neither as client or host) due to the annoying "accounts may not log in as themselves" problem. I was wondering, is it possible somehow anyway? Is it possible to force it to login as guest and add enough permissions to guest to make it work (security is of no concern atm)? Is there any other way (can I disable that stupid may not login as themselves option somehow)? I'm trying to use my XP home computer to debug my game on my windows vista machine (which runs vista business).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
I know it's not answering your question directly but why don't you just debug it locally on the vista machine? you can get visual studio for free these days.

-me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Because it's a fullscreen game. While I do have dual monitor setups on both computers, and visual studio on both for that matter, I get a device lost each time I hit a breakpoint (even when using the second monitor as device adapter). So I figured remote debugging would be really nice, but I just can't get it to work.. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by DvDmanDT
I get a device lost each time I hit a breakpoint (even when using the second monitor as device adapter).


Ah, well, again not answering your question, but that's a bug in your application. There is no reason other than a bug that you'd lose the device upon hitting a breakpoint. I debug fullscreen applications all the time with no problems.

I'm not skirting your question, I just don't know the answer to it and you shouldn't need this workaround.

-me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, it's kinda strange, I didn't have this problem before, but now I have it both in managed an unmanaged code. I mean, sure, I could reset the device, but I'd preferr not to loose it in the first place. Yes, I know, I should always have proper reset code etc, and I'll fix it someday.

I'm currently considering using a virtual machine to debug, but it doesn't feel quite right.. :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!