[.net] Remote debugging in XP home

Started by
3 comments, last by DvDmanDT 16 years, 6 months ago
Hi, remote debugging of C# is not possible in XP home (neither as client or host) due to the annoying "accounts may not log in as themselves" problem. I was wondering, is it possible somehow anyway? Is it possible to force it to login as guest and add enough permissions to guest to make it work (security is of no concern atm)? Is there any other way (can I disable that stupid may not login as themselves option somehow)? I'm trying to use my XP home computer to debug my game on my windows vista machine (which runs vista business).
Advertisement
I know it's not answering your question directly but why don't you just debug it locally on the vista machine? you can get visual studio for free these days.

-me
Because it's a fullscreen game. While I do have dual monitor setups on both computers, and visual studio on both for that matter, I get a device lost each time I hit a breakpoint (even when using the second monitor as device adapter). So I figured remote debugging would be really nice, but I just can't get it to work.. :(
Quote:Original post by DvDmanDT
I get a device lost each time I hit a breakpoint (even when using the second monitor as device adapter).

Ah, well, again not answering your question, but that's a bug in your application. There is no reason other than a bug that you'd lose the device upon hitting a breakpoint. I debug fullscreen applications all the time with no problems.

I'm not skirting your question, I just don't know the answer to it and you shouldn't need this workaround.

-me
Yeah, it's kinda strange, I didn't have this problem before, but now I have it both in managed an unmanaged code. I mean, sure, I could reset the device, but I'd preferr not to loose it in the first place. Yes, I know, I should always have proper reset code etc, and I'll fix it someday.

I'm currently considering using a virtual machine to debug, but it doesn't feel quite right.. :p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement