none of the guides work with visual studio C++

Started by
11 comments, last by Pzc 16 years, 5 months ago
if you're asking if i have a legit copy of windows, yea. it came with SP2. it's just windows xp home.

that's all the information i have on my os.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by tentaculat
I'm in the same boat as the original poster. After spending many hours reading up on Visual C++ and c++ in general, I'm still quite miffed at how difficult it is to get a very simple application running.bso

Create new project -> Visual C++ -> Win32 Project -> check 'Empty Project' under additional options.

If you want to make a console project, swap Win32 project for Win32 Console Application.

That's all there is to it. True, it's more than one click, but... still not rocket science.
After that, it's just a matter of writing code. :)

Quote:I'm still getting compile errors aplenty which make no sense to me considering I've just lifted the code from supposedly super-easy tutorial sites from the web.

Most super-easy tutorial sites from the web suck. As you've found out, there's absolutely no guarantee their code will even compile, or that what they teach is correct. Or that the author knew more than you about C++.

You might do yourself a big favor by buying a decent book.

Quote:2005. and wow, after reinstalling because of the error and trying to download the service pack 1, i get a package error. wtf. i really hate these microsoft products, i can't use any of them correctly without getting errors.

i can't even load a C# project, i get "project creation failed" with C# and Visual basic and i've reinstalled everything.

edit: i can't even open Devcpp

Weird. But if you get it with devcpp as well (btw, don't ever actually use that piece of junk), it doesn't seem like VS itself is the problem.
Are you running as administrator?
Have you tried on another OS? (Maybe create a virtual machine and install Windows there, and see if VS works better there)
Is it possible that your VS download is corrupt? (Then again, I think the installer does quite a few CRC checks so that sounds unlikely)
Quote:Original post by SomeDude49
if you're asking if i have a legit copy of windows, yea. it came with SP2. it's just windows xp home.

that's all the information i have on my os.

Ah, no, sorry. Doesn't matter if it's legit or not (as in if VS should work or not), was just interested in if you were using a version that the VS is supposed to work on. Windows XP Home SP2 should indeed work, according to MS.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement