Visual Studio Express

Started by
8 comments, last by Maverick Programmer 16 years, 5 months ago
I have VS 6.0 C++ and someone mentioned me switching to VS Express. What's the difference. Is the coding style different? Thanks.
Holy crap, you can read!
Advertisement
Just do a search on these forums for VS 6.0 criticism. But basically:

Unsupported by Microsoft

About 10 years old (released around the same time as Win98)

Supports standard C++ incorrectly (won't work with most other compilers, especially with more advanced code)

Is known to emit broken machine code (from what I've heard)

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

You'll love it. Get it and try it out. Only problem I had with it is no MFC. So not good for massive GUI work.
MFC? Also, I'm righting a game on Windows, but it should be cross-platform. Will VS Express disallow me to do this? Thanks for the replies.
Holy crap, you can read!
yeah, sorry no MFC (or ATL or resource editor) in the express version... I think the "standard" is 240$ or so...

You do not have to use language extensions or windows specific libraries with Visual C++ Express Edition. It depends on the library you use on whether your game will be cross-platform.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Quote:Original post by PCN
MFC? Also, I'm righting a game on Windows, but it should be cross-platform.

Then you shouldn't be touching MFC or ATL unless you want to write separate codepaths. It's lack of inclusion in VS2005 Express shouldn't be a problem, then.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.
I loved Express, and I bought Standard several month later only because I wanted a resource editor and Visual AssistX.

My only dissapointment is that they include a profiler only with the uber-expensive version :(
Quote:Original post by PCN
What's the difference. Is the coding style different? Thanks.

VS Express is a C++ compiler; VS 6.0 is not, according to the current definition of the language. So the code will differ, yes; the language compiled by VS 6.0 is lost (or should be >_<) in the sands of time. Coding *style* is something that's up to the individual and doesn't really even depend much on what language you're using.
So I'm behind apparently. :D
Thanks. Also, does that mean I'm going to need to get new library files and what-not? I mean- should I delete EVERYTHING that VC 6.0 used or just move 6.0 stuff and replace with Express?
Holy crap, you can read!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement