🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Pirate Dawn

Started by
78 comments, last by Sandman 16 years, 6 months ago
Pirate Lord,

I have decided to accept your challenge of reading the design document. Obviously I will not be able to read the document in it's entirety in a single sitting, and so I will simply review each bit that I have read as I have read it.

The reason that I am doing this is mostly because of your immense hype. You seem to be very confident that if I read this, I will be completely stunned and left in awe of what you have discovered. I feel that, despite your arrogance (and yes, it is arrogance), you may have something worth reading. You did, after all, find it to be worth writing.

I will be writing both on the document itself, as I perceive it, and aspects of gameplay which I find good/bad/impossible. I don't claim to be an excellent writer, but that won't stop me from voicing my opinion (and it should be taken as such).

So let me begin:

The first thing that I read is the summary presented on your website. Overall, it is a decent summary. After reading it, I am not immediately hooked, but there are some bits that draw my attention.

How exactly to you plan to have a game which incorporates no NPCs or quests? I know that many gamers (myself included) play video games largely due to the immersive storylines. Certainly not all games are subject to this constraint, but without NPCs or quests, I think that you will be hard-pressed to provide any more story than backstory (and overall, I'd rather just read a book than backstory).

How feasible is it to have the world be entirely player-updated? You're counting on a very large population of knowledgeable gamers to make this work. What happens if you don't get that player base? I think that player-modded content is great, and can really add to a game, but if a game were actually dependent on it, I don't think that that game would succeed.

Both of these features seem really neat at a glance, but I don't see how they can be (realistically) possible. If you count on players to create your storyline, your storyline will stink. Any game with a large enough player base to pull this off is bound to have plenty of Grievers to screw it up. Do you plan on policing the world with moderators to keep the storyline going? Similarly with player-modded (or created) content. It can work, but it's unlikely that many players will be skilled enough and willing enough to create your world for you. These are just my thoughts.

The idea of little kids being able to "blast away" in the same environment as adult gamers having a truly deep gaming experience is enticing. If such a thing is possible, it would be a great attraction. I think that this balance would be extremely difficult to achieve, but I'm counting on you laying this out further in the actual design document.

Speaking of which: The Design document

Firstly, there is the backstory. It's decent. You spend a lot of time naming things, like ship models, without any apparent purpose. I might be interested in the ship models from a "what kills best?" perspective, but I really don't care that the Germans invented it in 2112 (and do you really think that the same countries will exist and be world/galaxy powers will be the same in 150+ years?). I'm not sure how, but your backstory manages to be both too long and too short (Note: this is proper usage of the word "too"). For example, in a document such as this, it really isn't important to me that we colonized Mars in such-and-such a year, then discovered wormholes in such-and-such a year, then colonized such-and-such in blah blah blah. All I care about (if anything) in this design document is this: Citizens are good guys, Pirates steal stuff. Maybe one paragraph for this document. The rest of your backstory is too shallow to add anything, and just makes your design document extra long (Another note: I will be focusing on the parts of your design document that you can cut, since the general consensus is that it is far too long. This does not necessarily mean that these bits and pieces should be left out altogether; on the contrary, I believe that they have a place in more specific documentation related to the game, but outside of this document.).

Overview of Play

This part is again too lengthly. You include the information that the game will be played on both the PC and the Xbox more than once, and it really isn't relevant here. In fact, very little of this section deals with play at all. You talk about the game board, alignments, and the "Full" game and "Alternate Zones." Then you make reference to many games that this game is sort of like, but different.

This reference to other games, on the whole, detracts from your design document. Firstly, a reader who is not familiar with all of these games (I believe this describes most everyone) will not get all of the facts. Instead of saying "The combat system is like Asteroids" (which, for the record, you do not say), you might say that "the combat system is based on simultaneously avoiding obstacles and also attempting to shoot things with projectiles, etc." You may want to word it better than that, but you get the idea. The other reason that this detracts from your document is that all of your hype is based on this being a brand new idea from which all future ideas will steal ideas. If you point out yourself that all of your brand new ideas are based on classic games, that's sort of shooting yourself in the foot. Note that I am not passing judgment on whether or not your ideas are original, I am simply stating the effect of the devices you have used.

Leave out your personal opinions on which games are good and which are bad. I don't care. The people who agree with you don't care. The only people to whom these opinions will matter are the people who disagree with you, and then you're just making enemies for no reason. Bottom line: I don't care about what you think about game ABC, tell me about Pirate Dawn. (And what is this doing in the Overview of Play section anyway?)

Other than these, this section is good. It is (mostly) brief, and just gives a broad overview. The only thing that I would elaborate on is this: what exactly is a star system? Does it work like a city? Is there space between systems, or is the world just a series of room-like star systems connected by doors? Is a star system big or small, in the context of the game? You give no clues as to what these systems are, but they play a big part in your explanations of other things.

Multiplayer Modes and Server Based Zones

These sections can (and should) be omitted altogether. The sections immediately following them relay the same information, but with more depth and in a context that makes sense.

Alternate Zones and Full Game

Here is my first real qualm with your game design ideas. Why are these part of the same game? The Alternate Zones sound like they are completely disconnected from the Full Game except in terms of combat (I have to assume since you have so far not described combat at all). So why make this one massive game? I think that this is definitely something to consider deeply, as it would make putting together a team to develop this (even though you claim that it is not your objective) much more possible. These mini-games sound earnestly fun. Notice that I said fun, not ground-breaking. I'm sure you realize that there is nothing about Free-for-all, Capture-the-flag, King-of-the-hill, or Dueling that is revolutionary to the gameplay world. These (and almost every conceivable reincarnation of them) have proven to be classic, fun, games for years.

Still, you manage to bungle them (sorry, that was downright mean). Capture-the-flag (Flag Zone) seems absolutely impossible. 100+ guys split into teams of 8. This means that if you have a flag (just one of the 20 needed), there are 12 teams (~96 players) all trying to kill you. If your team actually manages to collect all 20 flags simultaneously, which I sincerely doubt is possible under these conditions, they will be outnumbered 12:1. Keeping all 8 team members alive for 3 whole minutes under these conditions seems impossibly difficult. The only way that this would be feasible would be if the combat were very slow, and the map very large. Games of this sort would be long and boring at best, and I would stay away from that.

Another note, you keep referring to spaces of the cargo hold available, which I assume to be some sort of limited inventory. Before you start telling me about how much cargo space such-and-such flag takes up, please tell me what that space is exactly. How much do you have in the first place? Is this even a real issue? Does having a full cargo hold impair your ship in some way? What way? There are a lot of questions that go along with this. They are implicit, but nonetheless there. A good way around this might be to say "The goal is to hold on to the flag for 3 minutes, but your ship moves slower and cannot shoot while it is holding the flag." That's short, to the point, and conveys all of the necessary information without a bazillion new terms. These terms would be great to incorporate into gameplay, they would certainly add some realism, but keep them out of this design book unless they are really really necessary. You do a decent job of this in the Rabbit Chase Zone section, but even there you go too far in depth about the individual stats. I don't even know what stats the ships have yet, or what scales those stats are on, so what do I care that having the flag gives me a +3 speed bonus? That could be a lot, that could be a little. Speed might not even be important for all I know.

The only zone which I really like is the Rabbit Chase Zone. This seems like it could be fair, since you become super outnumbered but uber-powerful. Pretty cool, but what are the teams for again?

And again, stop telling me that this is like Subspace's this or Galactic Ultima-battle 12's (What, you've never heard of it?) that. Tell me how it is unique without telling me how it is the same.

And this is where I think I'll wrap it up for now. 12 pages and I'm not exactly excited for more. In fact, I have very little idea as to how this game works (or how it involves Pirates). I don't know what the combat system is like, other than that ships destroy ships (right?). Brass tacks: Uh, get down to brass tacks (but don't use antiquated colloquialisms like "brass tacks"). Tell me what I need to know, and tell me now.

All in all, I wrote far too much, and I'm sure that most of it reads poorly (I'm not going through all of that again). I hope nobody bothered to read this except for the intended audience (Pirate Lord).

On another note, I plan on continuing my review when I have more time. If anyone is opposed to this, or if anyone would like to hear my opinion, just let me know. My aim is not to offend, but to help (ok, maybe a little bit to have a laugh at someone's expense), and if I am not helping, then I'm just taking up space with my wall of text.

- Brian

<hl>My Blog
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by mittens
Quote: Original post by Pirate_Lord
I have no problem with people flaming me, Mr. Moderator, let them fire away. You are, of course, free too as well...

Marc Michalik (A.K.A. Pirate_Lord)
Lost Art Studios -- www.piratedawn.com

Are you honestly so arrogant that you've taken nothing from this thread whatsoever?

People flame you because you deserve it. Every single reply here is, in my mind, giving you well-deserved criticism. You're lucky if absolutely any of the replies here offer constructive criticism because your attitude and pretentiousness warrant nothing aside from LOLcat image after LOLcat image mocking your complete and utter enthrallment with your own self. For being a fifty/sixty-year-old designer in the industry, you show a remarkable amount of ignorance and an inverse amount of experience.

Now, as a moderator, I have been torn about whether or not to shut this thread down within a day after you originally posted it. You may seek help but the way you act and hold yourself on what, quite frankly, must be a very lonely pedestal is putting a dark mark on an otherwise respectable forum. Perhaps you may want to direct your next thread to this forum if, at some point, a decision is made regarding the longevity of this thread.

I certainly hope that you do not shut down my thread. I am in the early stages of doing this and, as time passes, you will discover many things that you don't currently know. I really have been designing games and simulations for about 25 years. I am intentionally not revealing past things I have done... hoping that some will go looking for "ammunition" to use against me and instead find only impressive game related things. Since you are threatening to shut down the thread, I will tell you that I have design credit on a computer game from a major publisher. I have worked in the industry before as a designer. I also have assistant design credit on one of the most popular board games of all time. I am not the "nobody" that you are assuming I am.

I hope that you don't shut down my thread. I don't intented to say or do anything inappropriate.

-- Marc Michalik (A.K.A. Pirate_Lord)
Quote: Original post by gwihlidal
As soon as I saw the initial arrogance and delusions of grandeur by the OP I didn't even bother to read anything in this thread. I don't normally get "upset" by reading forum threads, but this one in particular irked me.

This is what I got out of it about the OP:

* Doesn't have an open mind

* Is extremely arrogant (without even having the experience to back it up, I'm sorry, you don't, and it wouldn't be a bad thing except for the fact you think you're the best game designer in the world.)

* Put down other aspiring game designers in other threads with your negative and own personal faults in your own career and trying to say that's what the industry is like.

* Rather than taking everyone's criticism about his attitude and design document (200 is WAY too long) and improving himself, instead flames and lashes out at people. He seems to forget that his game (if it were ever produced) would be played by the same people telling him there are rough edges in the game. See the connection?

Yes, the game industry is very harsh at times, so if it no longer interests or drives you then that's fine, try something else in life. I've seen many friends do that. However if you wish to continue on, you really need to up your positivity and attitude and that's what will allow you to succeed. Not a massive 200 page design document that most people wouldn't read if you were being positive, let alone highly negative.

Anyways, enough from me.

~Graham

I have a very open mind. Pretty much everything everyone in this thread has aid, and every piece of advice offered, I had heard 10-15 years ago. I know these things already. In fact, the articles I am still waiting on having published discuss at great length almost all of the major critisizms leveled at me so far. And they were written and submitted before I started this thread. It is not that I am "closed minded", it is that I am ignoring many issues that have been brought up because I have already addressed them in the articles that I wrote. I should know if those will be published or not sometime next week. After that, then I will be thrilled to discuss those particular issues. I took the time to say those things very carefully, and I'd like to wait for it to be said that way.

I do have the experience to back it up, that is exactly the thing. I have far more experience in game and simulation design than almost anyone currently working in the computer game industry. Note that I said that I "have more experience" and not "I'm the greatest"... they are two very different things.

I did not put down any aspring game designers in other threads. The only other thread I posted in was one where I gave someone some very good advice. I did not put them down in any way.

Finally, of course there are "rough edges" in the game. It only exists on paper. I never said that there weren't. I also never said "it's the greatest thing since sliced bread". My words have been chosen very carefully, it is not my fault if others carelessly misinterpret them.

Quote: Original post by PaulCesar
Sooo.... I read it.

It's not bad. I've read game design documents before. circa 1999 it would be extremely innovative, but impossible to produce. Now most of the ideas in it have already been done in some shape or form, mind you, not all in one place as you have here. It could be a very fun game, but it would also (and I don't believe you could argue this point) very expensive to produce.

Actually it would be cheaper to produce than most other MMO games. There really isn't a lot too it from the production side as compared to an RPG, for example. It really is a technologically simple game to produce.

Quote:
Some of the features you list, such as your modding system, are unfeasible from a TECHNICAL perspective at this point in time. Particularly on consoles (which you said your game would be geared towards). Have you taken into account streaming data costs, bandwidth allocations, etc? These are things you have to take into account on a MMO of any scale.

Everything about Pirate Dawn is technologically feasable. It is actually a techonligically simple game. The "mods" you are talking about are like small patches. They would be collected and added too the game weekly, or maybe bi-weekly, and it would be no different than a small patch.

Quote:
Ive seen less of them nowadays, but about 3-4 years ago there were posts on gamedev about 3 times a week with someone wanting to produce a game that "lives and breaths" on its own. With little to no restriction on players. Player run content is great, but there are A SHIT LOAD of technical pitfalls. In addition the cost of producing the game, the hardware requirements for both the servers and the players running it (particular bandwidth) would be a major issue. Are you really going to expect all your players to have a personal T1 line? Mind you, in 3-4 years... we are heading that route.

For instance, you are talking about streaming things from the players that could create security loopholes. How are you prepared to deal with this? Can you point me to some parts in your design document that deal with the content streams, security precautions, etc?

It doesn't work that way. The people administering the game have to approve the player created mods, and then add them to the game. This is done as a "patch". Players do not "stream" anything between each other or into the game. The player mods are added as a weekly or bi-weekly patch.

Quote:
Your game would be very appealing to game DESIGNERS, which makes sense why you think it would take off so well. Bear in mind that the mass market, your target demographic, might not find it quite as enjoyable because they are NOT designer oriented.

Actually, that specific critisizm of some of my more complex games is partially what inspired Pirate Dawn in the first place. Pirate Dawn is a mass-market game, that is the whole point. Any 8-year-old can just pick up a controller and start playing. It is a simple and fun arcade game. The genre, the subject matter, the overall simplicity of the whole thing, a gamepad console game... everything about it is mass market. That's why I call it "The Money Game".

Quote:
That being said, you are RIGHT in the aspect that what you have here makes most other online games appear as a massively single player game. Your not a programmer as you admitted yourself, so I don't think you have reached the stark realism that what you are endeavoring may actually STILL be technically unfeasible though, at least with huge amounts of money and requirements. Games are , unfortunately, about money. Costs of development aside, it would be difficult to make this game profitable from a purely operational standpoint for at least another 5-10 years I think.

I don't see why. And Pirate Dawn has been run past several experienced programmers within the industry, none of them saw any problems like that with it. I think you are making too much of the way the mods work, they are actually just patches. Pirate Dawn really is a technologicially simply game in every regard. There is a lot too it, but not as much as an RPG.

I really appreciate your post, and understand your perspective. I think if you keep taking it in you'll find that it really is a pretty simply game from a technilogical stand-point.

Quote: Original post by shou4577
Pirate Lord,

I have decided to accept your challenge of reading the design document. Obviously I will not be able to read the document in it's entirety in a single sitting, and so I will simply review each bit that I have read as I have read it.

The reason that I am doing this is mostly because of your immense hype. You seem to be very confident that if I read this, I will be completely stunned and left in awe of what you have discovered. I feel that, despite your arrogance (and yes, it is arrogance), you may have something worth reading. You did, after all, find it to be worth writing.

I will be writing both on the document itself, as I perceive it, and aspects of gameplay which I find good/bad/impossible. I don't claim to be an excellent writer, but that won't stop me from voicing my opinion (and it should be taken as such).

Thank you very much for your reply, Brian. I will try to help you understand the game as best I can.

I want to point out, though, that I don't think I have "the greatest game ever" or anything like that. I never said that. All I said is that Pirate Dawn is the #2 MMO game in the world. I've been involved with "massive online games" since the mid-1980's and BBS door games. I don't say that a game like Pirate Dawn is the #2 MMO game, history does. It's not the #2 MMO because I made it, I made it because it is the #2 MMO game. I am not making any big claims here, as every keeps insisting that I am. People are just having a hard time understanding that, apparently.

So fire away, and I'll try to help you understand "Subspace on steroids meets Trade Wars on steroids" as best I can.

Quote:
So let me begin:

The first thing that I read is the summary presented on your website. Overall, it is a decent summary. After reading it, I am not immediately hooked, but there are some bits that draw my attention.

How exactly to you plan to have a game which incorporates no NPCs or quests? I know that many gamers (myself included) play video games largely due to the immersive storylines. Certainly not all games are subject to this constraint, but without NPCs or quests, I think that you will be hard-pressed to provide any more story than backstory (and overall, I'd rather just read a book than backstory).

Pirate Dawn is a different style of game. In some ways it is based more on how some board games used to be done than a modern computer game. The "story" is revealed throughout the game as you play it. It's everywhere. Every ship system, the ships themselves, the "story" lies in the descriptions of the items and other things that you encounter in the game. Then, the game has an ending. So the story has a conclusion. But, that conclusion is different with each playing of the game. Some more familiar with "older game design", that which existed before there even was a computer game industry, may remember having heard the phrase "with each playing of the game, a whole new history is written and a whole new story is told." This is the philosophy behind the Pirate Dawn story.

NPCs really are uncessacary in Pirate Dawn. The other players are essentially the "NPCs". For example you may be a Smuggler know "Johnny" over at the "Jet Rangers" cartel who will escort you, so to you "Johnny" is essentially an "NPC" and he may even "go on a quest" with you. This is just one example. Those aspects do exist, but due to the nature of the game they happen with other players instead of with the AI.

Quote:
How feasible is it to have the world be entirely player-updated? You're counting on a very large population of knowledgeable gamers to make this work. What happens if you don't get that player base? I think that player-modded content is great, and can really add to a game, but if a game were actually dependent on it, I don't think that that game would succeed.

An excellent question. There will be a group of players that I have so far called "The Council of Nine". There is also a "Proving Grounds" in the Alternate Zones where player-created mods are playtested. Any player can't just make a mod and add it too the game. It has to go to the Council, who will get the system operators to put it in the Proving Grounds for testing. Only after the Concil has voted to actually add it too the game will it actually make it into the game.

Further, the true purpose of the "editors" is actually merely to provide a set of guidelines in keeping things reasonably balanced. The editors alone are actually not capable of creating something worthy of being added to the game, it will take modders who can create custom art and sound for that. So the editors actually simply guide the community into reasonable mods. There is a process for adding player mods to the game, anyone can't just upload something and have it be in the game.

Quote:
Both of these features seem really neat at a glance, but I don't see how they can be (realistically) possible. If you count on players to create your storyline, your storyline will stink. Any game with a large enough player base to pull this off is bound to have plenty of Grievers to screw it up. Do you plan on policing the world with moderators to keep the storyline going? Similarly with player-modded (or created) content. It can work, but it's unlikely that many players will be skilled enough and willing enough to create your world for you. These are just my thoughts.

Most won't be, no. That is why you create a system whereby you organize those who are willing to do such a thing. "The Councile of Nine" serves that purpose for Pirate Dawn. And modding Pirate Dawn would be fairly simple, because it is designed to be modded. The mods themselves are also not very complex. You are certainly correct that it would be a minority of players who got into this aspect of the game, but they would be there. Also note that only PC players can create mods, so that aspect of the game is limited to the PC audience (although the mods to also appear for people playing on console).

Quote:
The idea of little kids being able to "blast away" in the same environment as adult gamers having a truly deep gaming experience is enticing. If such a thing is possible, it would be a great attraction. I think that this balance would be extremely difficult to achieve, but I'm counting on you laying this out further in the actual design document.

I can easily explain that for you right now. Pirate Dawn is intentionally "severed" into two seperate games. None of the strategic aspects of the game are directly tied to any of the tactical aspects of the game. What this means, in the end, is that any 8-year-old can just pick up a gamepad and start playing. The kid doesn't even need to know that the strategic elements of the game even exist. Too this 8-year-old, the game consists of trying to blow up a couple ships before he dies so that he can afford another ship when he dies. If he can't do this, he "loses" and has to mine asteroids for the money for a new ship. Too an 8-year-old who just picked up a controller, this is pretty much the game that they are playing.

Now, to a 20-something hard-core gamer... this person is playing a very different game. This person may be a President or Executive in an important organization. For an example, lets say our 20-year-old is a Pirate. And he's a really good one, too. He doesn't even buy a ship like that 8-year-old, he pulls one out of storage. Maybe it even has powerful alien technology on it. Our ace Pirate spends a half-hour in his HQ before even reaching for a ship. Checking out the status of his company, making sure nobody is attempting a "Hostile Takeover" of any of his cartel's facilities, reads the news, and his cartel's message boards. Then he pulls out a ship with an HCA-500 comm set and sees who is out there, an checks the system alignments of star systems that are important too him. He's finally ready to play... and I don't think we have room nor me the time tonight to attempt to listed everything that this guy might do from here.

So there really are two different games within Pirate Dawn, because it has been designed so that you can ignore all of the strategic aspects of the game... and there is still a game there if you do. In this way, it equally supports both an 8-year-old child and a hard-core gamer. As I said somewhere on the web site, the few other games that possess this quality are all considered timeless classics.

Quote:
Speaking of which: The Design document

Firstly, there is the backstory. It's decent. You spend a lot of time naming things, like ship models, without any apparent purpose. I might be interested in the ship models from a "what kills best?" perspective, but I really don't care that the Germans invented it in 2112 (and do you really think that the same countries will exist and be world/galaxy powers will be the same in 150+ years?). I'm not sure how, but your backstory manages to be both too long and too short (Note: this is proper usage of the word "too"). For example, in a document such as this, it really isn't important to me that we colonized Mars in such-and-such a year, then discovered wormholes in such-and-such a year, then colonized such-and-such in blah blah blah. All I care about (if anything) in this design document is this: Citizens are good guys, Pirates steal stuff. Maybe one paragraph for this document. The rest of your backstory is too shallow to add anything, and just makes your design document extra long (Another note: I will be focusing on the parts of your design document that you can cut, since the general consensus is that it is far too long. This does not necessarily mean that these bits and pieces should be left out altogether; on the contrary, I believe that they have a place in more specific documentation related to the game, but outside of this document.).

I really wish I could answer this one for you, but a couple of the articles I am waiting to hear back on address this issue of it being "too long", and were written long before I started this thread. I do have a "50 page version", it's actually called a "gameplay summary". That is the "computer game industry design document" that the people who are bringing up this point are looking for, I already have that. The problem with that is that it is not a "game design document", it is a gameplay summary. I have a different definition of "game design document" than most, not all but most, in the industry do. I don't want to say much on this subject quite yet, but I will say that "20-40 pages of vague notes" is not a "game design document". Pirate Dawn's game design document is an example of a "game design document", from someone who was writing them before there was a commercial computer game industry.

Please don't misinterpret that as my saying "I'm the best". I said something very specific there, and none of it was about me personally.

Quote:
Overview of Play

This part is again too lengthly. You include the information that the game will be played on both the PC and the Xbox more than once, and it really isn't relevant here. In fact, very little of this section deals with play at all. You talk about the game board, alignments, and the "Full" game and "Alternate Zones." Then you make reference to many games that this game is sort of like, but different.

This reference to other games, on the whole, detracts from your design document. Firstly, a reader who is not familiar with all of these games (I believe this describes most everyone) will not get all of the facts. Instead of saying "The combat system is like Asteroids" (which, for the record, you do not say), you might say that "the combat system is based on simultaneously avoiding obstacles and also attempting to shoot things with projectiles, etc." You may want to word it better than that, but you get the idea. The other reason that this detracts from your document is that all of your hype is based on this being a brand new idea from which all future ideas will steal ideas. If you point out yourself that all of your brand new ideas are based on classic games, that's sort of shooting yourself in the foot. Note that I am not passing judgment on whether or not your ideas are original, I am simply stating the effect of the devices you have used.

Yes, I agree with most of what you've said here. That particular section is something of a "ghost". It used to be much longer and a true summary of the game but has been whittled down over the years. I will probably replace it with a complete re-write along the lines that you are suggesting.

The best description of Pirate Dawn is "Subspace on steroids meets Trade Wars on steroids". Another possible description would be "MMO Star Control II". They are the closest descriptions possible when making a comparison to previous games. Neither of them are very accurate. Pirate Dawn truly is a very unique game. I do agree with you about that section though, I really need to throw that out and put something else there.

Quote:
Other than these, this section is good. It is (mostly) brief, and just gives a broad overview. The only thing that I would elaborate on is this: what exactly is a star system? Does it work like a city? Is there space between systems, or is the world just a series of room-like star systems connected by doors? Is a star system big or small, in the context of the game? You give no clues as to what these systems are, but they play a big part in your explanations of other things.

The "National Map" is a number of "star systems" connected by wormholes. A "star system" is the area of space where you actually fly your ships and fight. It is a large "box" that would take 3 or 4 minutes to fly all the way from one side to the other. The "Star System" is the main area where you actually play the game.

Quote:
Multiplayer Modes and Server Based Zones

These sections can (and should) be omitted altogether. The sections immediately following them relay the same information, but with more depth and in a context that makes sense.

I'll have to look at that, I'm not actually sure what you are talking about here. But I will look at this later tonight and see what you mean.

Quote:
Alternate Zones and Full Game

Here is my first real qualm with your game design ideas. Why are these part of the same game? The Alternate Zones sound like they are completely disconnected from the Full Game except in terms of combat (I have to assume since you have so far not described combat at all). So why make this one massive game? I think that this is definitely something to consider deeply, as it would make putting together a team to develop this (even though you claim that it is not your objective) much more possible. These mini-games sound earnestly fun. Notice that I said fun, not ground-breaking. I'm sure you realize that there is nothing about Free-for-all, Capture-the-flag, King-of-the-hill, or Dueling that is revolutionary to the gameplay world. These (and almost every conceivable reincarnation of them) have proven to be classic, fun, games for years.

The "Alternate Zones" are essentially Subspace (A.K.A. "Continuum", www.getcontinuum.com). In fact, they are meant to be as "Subspace-like" as possible to attempt to draw that audience to Pirate Dawn. When you are playing in the "full game" there is a "future" that you need to be concerned with. The most obvious is that in the full game you need to be concerned with how you will afford replacement ships (because you'll die a lot, no matter how good you are). But in the "Alternate Zones" there is no "future", and players are free to just relax and have fun, without worrying about the "future" and such things as running out of money.

Quote:
Still, you manage to bungle them (sorry, that was downright mean). Capture-the-flag (Flag Zone) seems absolutely impossible. 100+ guys split into teams of 8. This means that if you have a flag (just one of the 20 needed), there are 12 teams (~96 players) all trying to kill you. If your team actually manages to collect all 20 flags simultaneously, which I sincerely doubt is possible under these conditions, they will be outnumbered 12:1. Keeping all 8 team members alive for 3 whole minutes under these conditions seems impossibly difficult. The only way that this would be feasible would be if the combat were very slow, and the map very large. Games of this sort would be long and boring at best, and I would stay away from that.

This particular version of "Capture the Flag" is called "WarZone" in Subspace, and it works quite well. The game is free, you can try it yourself at www.getcontinuum.com.

Quote:
Another note, you keep referring to spaces of the cargo hold available, which I assume to be some sort of limited inventory. Before you start telling me about how much cargo space such-and-such flag takes up, please tell me what that space is exactly. How much do you have in the first place? Is this even a real issue? Does having a full cargo hold impair your ship in some way? What way? There are a lot of questions that go along with this. They are implicit, but nonetheless there. A good way around this might be to say "The goal is to hold on to the flag for 3 minutes, but your ship moves slower and cannot shoot while it is holding the flag." That's short, to the point, and conveys all of the necessary information without a bazillion new terms. These terms would be great to incorporate into gameplay, they would certainly add some realism, but keep them out of this design book unless they are really really necessary. You do a decent job of this in the Rabbit Chase Zone section, but even there you go too far in depth about the individual stats. I don't even know what stats the ships have yet, or what scales those stats are on, so what do I care that having the flag gives me a +3 speed bonus? That could be a lot, that could be a little. Speed might not even be important for all I know.

The Hold is more relvant too the full game. I'm not quite sure what it is that I had said about flags and the hold in the Alternate Zones. The Altetrnate Zones section really is just notes. Because it is essentially Subspace, I never saw a need to do anything but write some fast notes about the Alternate Zones. If you really are interested in understanding Pirate Dawn, you should go at least take a look at Subspace (now called "Continuum"). Simply playing Subspace for 15 minutes or so would answer most of your questions about the Alternate Zones.

Quote:
The only zone which I really like is the Rabbit Chase Zone. This seems like it could be fair, since you become super outnumbered but uber-powerful. Pretty cool, but what are the teams for again?

And again, stop telling me that this is like Subspace's this or Galactic Ultima-battle 12's (What, you've never heard of it?) that. Tell me how it is unique without telling me how it is the same.

In the particular section you are in, the Alternate Zones, it is impossible to not mention Subspace. The Alternate Zones are a shameless rip-off of Subspace. They are necessaery for Pirate Dawn, so I thought it would be a good idea to make them as Subspace-like as possible to attract that audience. There is nothing original about the Alternate Zones.

Quote:
And this is where I think I'll wrap it up for now. 12 pages and I'm not exactly excited for more. In fact, I have very little idea as to how this game works (or how it involves Pirates). I don't know what the combat system is like, other than that ships destroy ships (right?). Brass tacks: Uh, get down to brass tacks (but don't use antiquated colloquialisms like "brass tacks"). Tell me what I need to know, and tell me now.

I understand your reaction. You are in the beginning of the document, which traditionally in real game design documents contains of alot of preliminary information. Most of the most boring stuff in the document is contained within the first 20 pages. You can actually skip the "Capacity Estimates" section when you get too it, as it contains nothing of relevance for someone reading for the first time.

If it helps, others have told me that they begin to become hooked somewhere around page 55-60. Several who have read it in the past have made that comment. But don't skip up too there, because then you'll be confused by the things you skipped. This document was written to actually produce the game, and then to be edited into the player manual/strategy guide. It wasn't written for any other purpose.

Quote:
All in all, I wrote far too much, and I'm sure that most of it reads poorly (I'm not going through all of that again). I hope nobody bothered to read this except for the intended audience (Pirate Lord).

On another note, I plan on continuing my review when I have more time. If anyone is opposed to this, or if anyone would like to hear my opinion, just let me know. My aim is not to offend, but to help (ok, maybe a little bit to have a laugh at someone's expense), and if I am not helping, then I'm just taking up space with my wall of text.
- Brian

I again thank you for your thoughtful reply, and your time in reviewing Pirate Dawn. I do hope you continue, and that I can be of help in you gaining a true understanding of what the game actually is.

And finally, for all the flamers who are still concinved I've been saying things that I never actually said... You know, the way to really make me look foolish would be to pick my game apart and use it to show what an arrogant moron that I am. It really shouldn’t be that difficult, if it is all the things that many of you claim it to be without even having taken the time to understand it. All you have to do is start throwing all those “vague ideas” into my face while showing how lame it all is. The way most of you are talking, I would think that would be a simple task.

Odd that nobody is willing to take this obvious action. Apparently most of you think that you can just flame me into submission without addressing the actual issue at all. I know that sounds familiar from somewhere… Well, anyway, that isn’t likely to wind up working out for you. So, if I might suggest, a more productive path for you in proving that I am an idiot might be to just show what a horrible game Pirate Dawn is. It certainly seems a logical and rational path too me. I have to wonder why nobody is attempting to take that path, considering how simple that should be according to you guys.

You could start with the ships, ships systems, and the “combat environment” of Pirate Dawn, that’d be a great place to prove what an idiot I am <evil grin>. Come on… show me how “lame” the ship-to-ship combat in Pirate Dawn is. That should be easy, right? Or pick your own subject. Go ahead… Expose all of those “vague ideas” on me… That sure would shut me up, wouldn’t it?

--Marc Michalik (A.K.A. Pirate_Lord)
Lost Art Studios – www.piratedawn.com

Quote:
I am intentionally not revealing past things I have done... hoping that some will go looking for "ammunition" to use against me and instead find only impressive game related things. Since you are threatening to shut down the thread, I will tell you that I have design credit on a computer game from a major publisher. I have worked in the industry before as a designer. I also have assistant design credit on one of the most popular board games of all time. I am not the "nobody" that you are assuming I am.

Yeah, right. You are the famous mystery-ninja-designer and we have to earn the right to know you and your merits. Now, I may hate myself tomorrow, but since you wanted, I actually looked you up on Google :)

You have designed a game published by THQ, is that right? Now, most board readers should find that quite impressive, since they themselves have never worked for a major publisher. But one average game doesn't make you "somebody" in this industry. Couldn't find you on boardgamegeek.com, so I'm assuming that you're involvement has been small enough not to be credited (untill otherwise proven). Besides, your merits and what you have done in the past is irrelevant if your experience is not shown in your design documents.

Note that being "nobody" is not that bad. Im "nobody". Most board readers are "nobodies". But then again, most board readers aren't trying to convince people otherwise.

[Edited by - teebee on December 14, 2007 1:10:04 AM]
And finally, for all the flamers who are still concinved I've been saying things that I never actually said... You know, the way to really make me look foolish would be to pick my game apart and use it to show what an arrogant moron that I am. Wah wah wah.

If you ever read your own posts, it would be obvious that nobody but you is necessary to make you look foolish.
Odd that nobody is willing to take this obvious action.
Is it really that odd that nobody is willing to read a frickin' NOVEL just to understand some game concept that isn't even a real game? I don't care that somewhere in some place at some point you have a 50 page "overview" document. If your game can't be fully explained in less than 10 pages, and fleshed out in 50, your game design is too bloody complicated. Or you're way too wordy. Or both.

Yes, I know, the article about it is in the mail. But if you have to write MORE WORDS to describe why your document contains TOO MANY WORDS, there's a major disconnect somewhere. Usually, the response to using too many words is to use LESS words.

Apparently most of you think that you can just flame me into submission without addressing the actual issue at all. Blah blah, incorrect use of the word "too" for the millionth time, blah blah.
Most of us ARE addressing the "actual issue." YOU are not.

Read your post again. Note how you sound like a total dick. If you're wondering why nobody seems to want to work with you, maybe you should look to that.

Nobody wants to work with a total dick, even if his design "...is the #2 MMO game."

I will say this again, for great justice:

• Nobody
  • Wants
  • To
  • Work
  • With
  • A
  • Total
  • Dick

Now, anyone can sit around wanking himself while writing the War and Peace (length, not literary quality) of design documents. Given all of your "industry experience" and your "I've been working on games since pongs roamed the earth" longevity of which you are CONSTANTLY reminding people (bragging about how long "the designer" has been designing games is even scattered throughout your monster design doc...perhaps you could save some pages by cutting THAT out since it's completely irrelevant), the fact that NOBODY in the industry is willing to listen to your design documentation (or even listen to you AT ALL) should say something.

Nobody except, apparently, the people who needed you to "single-handedly" rescue their design for a remake of a classic arcade game, which I'm sure was a really strenuous design job. I'm assuming that's the game you were talking about, since it's the only thing that you are credited for on the "yahoo" which you have invited people to search your name on. Also there's a nice GarageGames posting looking for help with an MMO. For someone who has been in the industry as long as you have, you sure took a long time to do anything ever.

Of course, you will ignore this post as well as well, as with this classic exchange:
Quote: Original post by gwihlidal
...Is extremely arrogant (without even having the experience to back it up, I'm sorry, you don't, and it wouldn't be a bad thing except for the fact you think you're the best game designer in the world.)

Rather than taking everyone's criticism about his attitude and design document (200 is WAY too long) and improving himself, instead flames and lashes out at people. He seems to forget that his game (if it were ever produced) would be played by the same people telling him there are rough edges in the game.

I have a very open mind. Pretty much everything everyone in this thread has aid, and every piece of advice offered, I had heard 10-15 years ago. I know these things already.
Apparently you already know you're arrogant and great at avoiding criticism. You said it RIGHT THERE. And no, I'm not taking that out of context.

tl;dr:

Here is the simple truth of the matter, and the "actual issue:"
The only common thread in all of your failures and rejections is YOU.
A board game he was "involved" with was Star Fleet Battles

To see his "involvment", scroll to the bottom of this Link.

I'm not sure how this fits with your earlier claims. I certainly don't consider SFB to be even in the top ten of board games of all time. Also, your posting implied actually working professionally (as in being on a payroll of a company for doing the work) on one of the most popular board games of all time. Being a volunteer design assistant via an online service doesn't really fit that bill.

Perhaps you got hired to work on something else more popular after this work?

Your ideas are not original, nor are they revolutionary. I'm glad no game company wasted the time or money to make your game. I'm equally happy that you have retired from game design because I would hate to think that anyone would have to actually work with you to make anything.
I hope that you don't shut down my thread. I don't intented to say or do anything inappropriate.

Sorry, but I'm not entirely sure what value there is in allowing this thread to continue. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what the point of the thread was in the first place; if the game design is so perfect, what do you want from us?

Feel free to start a new thread, but I would strongly recommend the following;

1. Have a clear objective in mind when you post, and let us know what it is. Failure to do this leads to vague, meandering threads that don't get anyone anywhere.

2. Leave the bitterness and attitude out of it. Don't pollute the thread with rantings about your game design history, it's completely irrelevant to the actual design of the game.

3. Narrow your focus. Don't dump your entire 200 page design doc onto us and say "waddya think?". Break it down into more digestible chunks for discussion, and as already mentioned in 1. - have a clear purpose.

Perhaps then you might get something useful out of this forum.

IBTL ;)

[Edited by - Washu on December 14, 2007 2:57:46 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement