Ink-Style Lines

Started by
2 comments, last by Kalidor 16 years, 3 months ago
I have been working on a game where everything is drawn using GL_LINES. I'd like to make the game look more stylized to make it look like the graphics were "painted" on the screen using an ink-brush. Here are some examples from the very awesome Mojib Ribbon: One Two and... Three Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this? I would highly value any input you may have. Thanks! :)
Advertisement
the best way i can think of would be to make the lines out of connecting gl_quads and put a repeating texture for the brush effects
It depends on if the lines are outlining figures that should block others. If you are using depth testing, using polys is much nicer. If you want to do it with lines, you could either use particle effects (vertex pipeline expensive) or you could write a pixel shader to compute the ink effect. You obviously have to make sure your shader is not volatile because at 30fps you will likely get a blur if it generates differently for different input coordinates.
-----------------------------Join us at iClips. We are developing a cool 3D virtual world to go with our livestreams. Email me.look here
Here is a big list of many different NPR (non-photorealistic rendering) techniques. Many of them are dead links now, but it'll at least give you something more to google with.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement