mmOrpg??

Started by
5 comments, last by Hollower 16 years, 3 months ago
hi guys im just wondering or looking for some advice id like to get into sort of like a MMorpg but not really MM just a simple thing that i can make say a little town and i log in and a friend logs in so we have our own little place to chat but with graphics now for the log in and multiplayer part of things what would be the best language for me to learn for it? ive done some VB and Flash Actionscripting and picked em both up pretty good but i was just wondering whats the best to learn for heading towards a MMORPG and help would be appreciated thanxs
Advertisement
If you're willing to spend like $100, the RealmCrafter engine from realmcrafter.com can get you up and running pretty quick. If you wanted to make it by yourself I would attempt to learn C++ with winsock and directX. It wont be pretty or anything though.

and ive found a "smartfox Server" which is used by Club Penquin for their MMO
and ive played a Flash made MMORPG (DOFUS)

but the question is it uses xml sockets

is this a good way of networking communication and such?
It really all depends on how big you want to go/graphics. Theres only so much flash can do :)
If your requirements really are relatively simple you could probably get away with using Visual Basic since you've already got some experience with that; you didn't specify which version of VB you've used, but if it's pre-.NET you could take a look at vbGORE, or if you have been using .NET it would be capable of achieving similar things with more work.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Flash platforms you've mentioned, but if you keep your requirements simple as you originally described them there's no reason you couldn't get something working.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by Lostvoices
sort of like a MMorpg but not really MM

Is the term "MMORPG" really so ubiquitous that people really can't explain simpler things directly, rather than making reference to the MMORPG concept?

What's wrong with just saying "an online RPG"?
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
Quote:Original post by Lostvoices
sort of like a MMorpg but not really MM

Is the term "MMORPG" really so ubiquitous that people really can't explain simpler things directly, rather than making reference to the MMORPG concept?

What's wrong with just saying "an online RPG"?

Just for laughs: Google "single player mmorpg"
[headshake]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement