Finding a suitable game 2.5-3D engine

Started by
1 comment, last by acron86 16 years, 3 months ago
Hey gamedev, good morning everyone. I'm having some problems finding a suitable game engine for our project. To give you some bg information i might add that we don't need complex physics. Very basic collision detection, mayb basic gravity will probably be sufficient. There is no need for networking. We might be fine using IrrKlang/OpenAL to get the necesarry sound effects into the game. We've looked into the Devmaster.com database and decided it wouldn't really help, we should see and try to find some answers on actual questions. We're working on a game which will have a screen for all players competiting. Those will be devided into to 2 teams and the camera will most likely not move at all. (Mayb some intro/outro camera flight or similar but basicly a fixed Position and a fixed POI). We've decided we'd like to have 3D visuals but the physics and logic only effects a single layer. (Imagine Super Mario Brothers realized with 3D obstancles and Player/NPC Models but you still play in orthogonal view with orthogonal logic). We'll have to integrate our own input system since we don't rely on 'common' game controllers which will at least require an available API and still keep costs at minimum. Does someone know Raiden 3? Here is a screenshot. http://image.xbt.com.cn/article/upload/200604/060409172510381.jpg I'm not 100% sure but it looks like it's basicly created using a similar philosophy, basicly restricted to 2D-movement and 2D-logic but the grafical representation arises out of 3D models. We've so far looked deeper into Irrlicht and jMonkey, mainly since they are free, quite big and quite well documented for free products. Is there any cheap/free engine which you'd suggest so we can have a look at it? I'd appreciate any help and experience. Cliffs: - University Project (Low Budget / 1000€ might be the limit) - Want to create a game with 2D logic rendered from 3D models - No networking or fancy physics required - Need an Api for custom input handling - Do you have a nice keyword/engine we should have a look at? - Thx for anything that might be valuable to know. Thank you for your patience in reading and for your time in general Greetings GreyHound
Advertisement
Hi, unfortunately I don't have an answer, but I'd like to express my interest in finding almost exactly what you are looking for, with the exception that I need networking and have it written in C++.

Please update the thread if you find one.
Tried SDL with OpenGL? (C++ and has networking librarys).

If not C++ I don't know why people don't just use XNA for Windows these days.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement