Dev-C++ refuses to output EXE, no error

Started by
18 comments, last by OlubukolaLaditan 12 years, 11 months ago
I can now confirm that Windows 98 does not handle more than 36 command line parameters, if it does it just prints "bad command or filename". This is independent of the actual maximum string length of command line arguments, which is somewhere around 4000 if I recall correctly.

If someone is aware of a way to do incremental links, or feeding in a text file with arguments, please let me know.
Advertisement
Could you just do

g++ build/*.o -o "..\MiniTanks.exe"

-L"D:/PROGRAMS/DEV-CPP/lib" -mwindows -lglu32 -lopengl32 -lwinmm

Or would that have the same problem once the shell expands the wildcard?
Perfect!

Yes, that works. I will have to be careful no old object files remain in the directory, but I need to clean+rebuild anyway if I make big changes in the code. I get a few linker errors every now and then, that means it is now actually running the linker. :)

Extra points for you Sir! [smile]
Quote:Original post by RSC_x
i think we realy need a c++ source version of devc .
so it can work on linux too.

hay may be one of you guys hawe free time and can make a opnsorce c++ copy of devc?

What's wrong with NetBeans 6.0? It's open source and runs in Linux.
Quote:Original post by Ahnfelt

What's wrong with NetBeans 6.0? It's open source and runs in Linux.

i hear'd about it first time and i'm downloading it right now.but opensource c++ editor with c++ source hawe some other meanings for me.
it means you can add any tool you think to it. and it makes allmost anything easy then its corrent state.
devc is F# i know arround %15-20 about it and its take too long time to fix unknown function. but its not too hard to make copy of features without analysing complete source.it just takes too long .

anyway download finished and it says you hawe to download jdk. which makes mee feel like using spyware or infected application.

its not the case on windows because on widows i hawe some of my opensource applications which i can chance anything but on linux there is no easy and clear way other then c. for me.
© Loading... !!!
Please Wait...!
If you want an open source C++ IDE written in C++, there's Code::Blocks. I've heard good things about it, but haven't tried it out yet.
Quote:Original post by remdul
I've once again run into this problem, so I'm going to look for a permanent solution.

Dev-Cpp already compiles and links through a makefile, so creating a makefile manually is not going to solve anything.

It appears that the command line string length is not the issue, more likely the number of arguments that can be passed to g++ (assuming Windows has an upper limit).

Now there does not seem to be a way to pass arguments to g++ by other means, so that means it is impossible to make this work, without adding such feature to g++ or removing the OS limitation.

So, I'm now planning to modify g++ to read the arguments from a text file, which should be (relatively) easy. The only question is...can I compile and link it without bumping into the same problem? Heh...

(I'm very surprised no one has come across this issue before...)

I have this problem also in my game programming, I just do a clean rebuild and it works fine, not sure why it does it, doesn't always realize files have been changed, and uses the pre-compiled headers and such rather than rebuilding them. A clean build fixes it, just takes a while to re-compile everything (depending on project size of course). I normally use Visual C/C++, but I use dev-cpp on my thumb-drive for a portable compiler, I use both to compile my projects, dev-cpp has some quirks, but try using msvc as a portable compiler, lol.

--- Edit ---
Just wanted to mention, I have this problem on Win 2k and Win XP, so it's not limited to 98.
i hear'd about it first time and i'm downloading it right now.but opensource c++ editor with c++ source hawe some other meanings for me.
it means you can add any tool you think to it. and it makes allmost anything easy then its corrent state.
devc is F# i know arround %15-20 about it and its take too long time to fix unknown function. but its not too hard to make copy of features without analysing complete source.it just takes too long .

anyway download finished and it says you hawe to download jdk. which makes mee feel like using spyware or infected application.

its not the case on windows because on widows i hawe some of my opensource applications which i can chance anything but on linux there is no easy and clear way other then c. for me.

I'm using Eclipse IDE (CDT package) it works perfectly with mingw/cygwin on Windows.
Quote:Original post by Ready4Dis
I have this problem also in my game programming, I just do a clean rebuild and it works fine, not sure why it does it, doesn't always realize files have been changed, and uses the pre-compiled headers and such rather than rebuilding them. A clean build fixes it, just takes a while to re-compile everything (depending on project size of course).

Ok, thanks for confirming my suspicions. I already assumed it wasn't a bug, or related to my other problem. I'm sure there's some feature in the gcc/mingw toolkit to help with that.
Eureka!! If you dev-c++ project name has any periods in it ie: 2.5, 1.0,... etc. anywhere in its name, no exe will be generated. instead you will get a file with a weird extension. probably the same extension as number that comes before the period.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement