viewing .FX files in VS

Started by
3 comments, last by kitkit 16 years, 3 months ago
What is the correct or best way to edit/view your effect files in Visual Studio, atm I usually just view/edit them outside in notepad, but this makes it a little tricky because you don't get the colour code of commented text, or variable types, and you get use to that :D So I tried right clicking my solution, and add existing item, which works, but again, its not colour coded like a standard c++ file. How do you edit/view your .FX files?
Advertisement
You can edit usertypes.dat in your VS install to get syntax highlighting in Visual Studio, but thats about it really. Its disappointing that we have to do this as MS did provide us with at least a half-working plugin a few years back!

Most people will use their content creation package to edit shaders/effects - its increasingly common that the programmer doing .NET or C++ work is not the programmer doing HLSL/FX therefore having the same tool do both isn't such a priority.

Look into things like RenderMonkey and FXComposer.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

ok thanks, will read through them now,
is there anyone that you'd recommend, and does it matter what card you have, or will rendermonkey work equally as well on nvidia cards and vice versa
I think RenderMonkey hasn't been updated in a long time, but FX Composer 2.0 was recently released and even contains a visual shader editor. However, as far as I know, you can't use the reference rasterizer with FX Composer but you can with RenderMonkey.
New version of RenderMonkey is released:

http://www2.ati.com/developer/rendermonkey/files/rendermonkey.2007-12-20-v1.80.204.msi

But i prefer FX composer. But not version 2.0. I prefer old (1.x) versions of the FX Composer.
----------------------

kit

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement