opengl/directx

Started by
13 comments, last by Sc4Freak 16 years, 3 months ago
And no, DirectX is not faster than OpenGL, they are equally fast, since they both do nothing but talk to the driver of your graphics card.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by HansDampf
And no, DirectX is not faster than OpenGL, they are equally fast, since they both do nothing but talk to the driver of your graphics card.

I really wouldnt put it past MS to make the default openGL in windows run slower then DX... Also isnt it nessary to install video drives from the makers website to use hardware with openGL. Read something about that a while ago, but I use linux so havnt tested it out.
Anyways if you have been using openGL and you do not want a change then why change? If you are looking for a change, or what something diffrent use DX..

One thing everybody forgets is the GREAT trace/debug provided by DirectX debug mode. One can adjust the output level and if something goes wrong you can trace the debug messages! This is not possible with OpenGL.

But one thing is sure - OpenGL is backwards compatible. If you were working on DX9 and Windows XP and you settle up to DX 10 and VISTA, you have to learn almost everything from scratch. This won't happen with OpenGL.

One other great thing about OpenGL is also the card features. For example If a new feature was added to the card, you are OS independant. This means, you don't need Vista in order for the graphic feature to work. You just need a graphic card that support it.

DirectX on the other hand, if your hardware is capable but you don't have Vista, they will not be accessible.
Quote:Original post by Samurai Jack
One thing everybody forgets is the GREAT trace/debug provided by DirectX debug mode. One can adjust the output level and if something goes wrong you can trace the debug messages! This is not possible with OpenGL.

Or so you thought! http://glintercept.nutty.org/

The biggest attraction to OpenGL is it's impressive cross compatibility. Practically everything supports OpenGL. Direct3D, on the other hand, is limited to Windows.

Both run at the same speed, neither is faster than the other. But, Direct3D has official support from Microsoft and there are great tools for Direct3D such as PIX. IMO, the Direct3D API is far, far cleaner than OpenGL's API. Direct3D10 is especially nice (but limited to Vista).

In my case, I chose Direct3D. Because I had no need for cross-compatibility since I only intended for my program to run on Windows. Because of that, OpenGL had no advantages for me over Direct3D.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement