Getting to Senior Lead level

Started by
12 comments, last by yoshscout 16 years, 2 months ago
A senior position requires more than just technical ability - in fact technical ability may be one of the less important aspects.

Personally, I know that I'm more technically capable than most other developers that I've worked with, but I'm lacking in some of the 'soft' skills areas (e.g. I can clearly and eloquently get my point of view across in a document or via email, but if people ask me in a meeting, I tend to stutter, forget what I was about to say etc.), I don't have any leadership experience and I can lack empathy with people who don't see things from my point of view.

Until you have experience working alongside other people, you won't know what areas you lack in.
Advertisement
Summary: DON'T BE SELFISH!
c",)
Quote:Original post by Nitage
A senior position requires more than just technical ability - in fact technical ability may be one of the less important aspects.

In my experience, the opposite is true. 'Senior' positions tend to be manned by programmers who are good enough to deserve good pay, but lacking the people skills to be promoted to manager/lead.

I really want to say how much I appreciate the good responses here. I think most of what I have learned for project management has been from collaboration. I frequent local meet-ups.

I do want to point out that you can manage a project with 1 developer, and failing to do so will almost inevitably lead to a snowball of spaghetti that is impossible to maintain. I think that was an important thing to realize for me. I treat my own projects as though I am a team of 1.

Obviously, surrounding yourself with experts really does help. I don't have a particular mentor per say, but talking to a few people with 10-30 years sure does help. They almost always have the most brilliant insight(and yes its usually a lot simpler than what it seems).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement