Service packs

Started by
1 comment, last by nobodynews 16 years, 2 months ago
What are service packs supposed to be? Why are there different service packs for windows and visual studio?
Advertisement
its just to add different windows libraries really

the platform SDK has a number of features including Direct Show

the visual C++ redist runtimes are MS's way of botching up all the DLL errors (google "DLL hell")

and alot of the service packs are pretty much just patches for the IDE / language.
http://stowelly.co.uk/
Quote:Original post by Stowelly
its just to add different windows libraries really

the platform SDK has a number of features including Direct Show

the visual C++ redist runtimes are MS's way of botching up all the DLL errors (google "DLL hell")

and alot of the service packs are pretty much just patches for the IDE / language.

Those first two aren't service packs, they're libraries and packaging systems. A service pack is pretty much a patch though. The Windowx XP Service Pack 2 includes a ton of patches for the OS while a Visual Studio service pack would fix problems with that program. I know that one of the Visual Studio service packs changed the way intellisense worked a little bit (not really improving the actual intellisense, but displaying information about what it was doing in the task bar at the bottom) and I remember there was a problem in one the core C++ library where I believe std::stringstream had a memory leak. Here's a link. In fact, here's another link for all of the bug fixes.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement