What Language do u prefer?

Started by
63 comments, last by Drizzt DoUrden 16 years, 2 months ago
I program in C++ for complex stuff, C and asm for device drivers, python for simple stuff, C# for GUI stuff and PHP for web stuff. I like all of them for different reasons.

As someone who has taught programming at university level(against my better judgement), I disagree that C# is a good starting language, for the simple reason that it doesn't have pointers or explicit memory management. Programming without pointers or memory management means that you won't easily understand how computers work, as all the hard work is done for you. I (and my colleagues) found that people used to BASIC or GCed languages like Java and the greatest problems when turning to systems architecture.

When all new programmers only know C# or Java, who will write the next C# or Java? Low level understanding is more important than the majority of people seem to think.

Some business leaders in the Software Industry came out and deplored the training of students in "Java schools" as they had to retrain the students when they entered the workforce. I can't find the link at the moment, so here is a link to Joel Spolsky saying the same thing.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by gregs
I program in C++ for complex stuff, C and asm for device drivers, python for simple stuff, C# for GUI stuff and PHP for web stuff. I like all of them for different reasons.

As someone who has taught programming at university level(against my better judgement), I disagree that C# is a good starting language, for the simple reason that it doesn't have pointers or explicit memory management. Programming without pointers or memory management means that you won't easily understand how computers work, as all the hard work is done for you. I (and my colleagues) found that people used to BASIC or GCed languages like Java and the greatest problems when turning to systems architecture.

When all new programmers only know C# or Java, who will write the next C# or Java? Low level understanding is more important than the majority of people seem to think.

Some business leaders in the Software Industry came out and deplored the training of students in "Java schools" as they had to retrain the students when they entered the workforce. I can't find the link at the moment, so here is a link to Joel Spolsky saying the same thing.

After reading through the provided links, and the links contained within those links and so forth, perhaps you would recommend this to beginners? And I am asking an honest question here, as this is the open courseware from MIT for 6.001 Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, which looks to be the base for their computer science degree(please correct me if I am wrong). All free, including the textbook.
6.001 Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
Been coding for 6 years and I would have to say C/C++ for power, speed, and low level opt.. I know C# and I think its an attractive language, but I only find it useful for tool development. When the day comes that companies start rebuilding their staff with C# coders (probably won't ever happen), I'll switch to C#.
Quote:Original post by dmreichard
After reading through the provided links, and the links contained within those links and so forth, perhaps you would recommend this to beginners? And I am asking an honest question here, as this is the open courseware from MIT for 6.001 Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, which looks to be the base for their computer science degree(please correct me if I am wrong). All free, including the textbook.
6.001 Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

I might recommend it to beginners interested in a (mostly)functional approach (it appears to use Scheme as the course language, which although a multi-paradigm language, leans heavily toward the functional), but the majority of gamedev is done using procedural languages such as the C family.

It could well provide you with an understanding of the thought processes involved in programming, however. Nevertheless, skimming through, I found it a bit long-winded and needlessly technical in parts, but that could be due to the high fever I'm running at the moment. The fact they're offering it for free is a great accomplishment in itself.

I'm not sure what to recommend, as it's been a while since I was in academia, and a lot of the books I used to use appear to be out of print. Most people these days seem to find "Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckel to be quite useful, but I'm not sure if it starts from scratch.
I spent a lot of today playing with OpenJFX or JavaFX.

It was like functional cascading style sheets. I don't think it's purely functional like Haskell is supposed to be. I really liked it, then I couldn't get used to it fast enough to come up with any real productive use for it. It's basically just a wrapper around Swing/AWT that lets you organize your LayoutManagers in a CSS way. Anyone else toying around with it?
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement