OpenGL or Direct3D

Started by
6 comments, last by gan 16 years, 2 months ago
I was wondering which one, OpenGL or Direct3D should I learn for beginning game programing?
Advertisement
Well in my personal oppion nether if you are just starting out in game programing try out SDL and do something 2d based to start with.

After that ether is godo bolth have there pros and con's OpenGL seems easyer to learn and is not os dependant where as DirectX is windows dependant but is very powerful however some times you can get lost easly with its interfaces.

Ps Get yourself a directX or OpenGL book as online tutorials do not allways work properly or are not allways very in depth.

But as i sead start out with something simple like SDL its easy to understand mostly and it is a pritty good start.

Regards Jouei.
Its human nature, when given two choices, to determine "which is better". But the answer really is, neither. As a beginner, you can do fine with both, and everyone's answer is going to be their personal preference, not what is actually best for you. Neither API is more beginner friendly or API oriented, in truth.

But based on your other questions, I do not think you are ready to handle either OpenGL or Direct3D API yet. Focus on learning a language now and getting computer science fundamentals down. Make your games very simple: text(console) based only.
Either is fine once your ready, but the suggestion to start with a simpler library such as SFML or SDL first is generally a good one.

You should of course get a good grip of your language of choice before you add in the confusion of working with graphics as well.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by oler1s
Its human nature, when given two choices, to determine "which is better". But the answer really is, neither. As a beginner, you can do fine with both, and everyone's answer is going to be their personal preference, not what is actually best for you. Neither API is more beginner friendly or API oriented, in truth.

But based on your other questions, I do not think you are ready to handle either OpenGL or Direct3D API yet. Focus on learning a language now and getting computer science fundamentals down. Make your games very simple: text(console) based only.

Thanks for the reply. I have created my fair share of text based games with python and I know a little of c++ but not enough to create anything cool. I am in a game project class and we are grouping up with others in the class and are creating our own game with a "Torque Game Engine". I keep hearing people telling me to learn a language and then learn OpenGL or Direct3D and you are will be on your way to being a game programmer. So I was just curious about what others thought about either OpenGL or Direct3D.

Thanks
Andrew
Quote:I have created my fair share of text based games with python and I know a little of c++
In your other question, you reveal that you do not know for loops. Given that they are an extremely basic construct, you haven't progressed very far. You need to learn significantly more before you start tackling projects that involve 3rd party APIs.

Quote:I am in a game project class and we are grouping up with others in the class and are creating our own game with a "Torque Game Engine".
I think it's a good way to get into game programming. You can have fun, and force yourself to start thinking along the lines of development. Ultimately though, as others have told you, you will seriously have to sit down and learn programming and computer science. But if you're happy playing around with Torque or whatever right now, don't stop.

Quote:So I was just curious about what others thought about either OpenGL or Direct3D.
Aside from technical details you would find in a Google search? It's a flamebait topic, as many "vs." type threads are. As with other flamebait topics, you'll just see a back and forth between personal opinions, and ultimately, you'll pick nothing useful out of it.
an article at gamedev: Direct3D vs. OpenGL: Which API to Use When, Where, and Why .

Else, follow what oler1s suggested , there're tons of them discuss before.

Quote:Original post by gan
an article at gamedev: Direct3D vs. OpenGL: Which API to Use When, Where, and Why .

Else, follow what oler1s suggested , there're tons of them discuss before.

One thing to note (quoted from article above):
Quote:
The structure of Direct3D, and DirectX in general, is hugely different from OpenGL. As time goes on however, DirectX is slowly becoming more and more like OpenGL.

If you program DirectX 8 and DirectX 10, then you will feel it.

Another thing to note (sad but I afraid is true, quoted from article above):
Quote:
OpenGL is popular among developers in many different industries. It provides a great deal of functionality, and has proven to be a stable API over the 10+ years of its existence. It was written about 10 years ago to provide functionality for the future as far as possible. Unfortunately, that future has come and gone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement