Compiler for linux?

Started by
33 comments, last by Yann L 16 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Chrono1081
Quote:Original post by Cromulent
Thank you guys for the responses :D I don't understand why the linux forum I was on couldn't answer me that :P (Im new to linux so I dont know much)

I think it was because you asked the wrong question :). You are not looking for a compiler (as your thread title suggests) but an IDE. The two things do not necessarily have to be linked together in the same way as Visual Studio is. The fact that Linux has a compiler already available in every distribution probably provoked a few people to post less than helpful answers.

True, I always accidentally call an IDE a compiler. I'm just finding that linux is really hard to use. All of the "sudo apt-get" commands I try fail, any install I try fails. I have to be doing something wrong but its hard to find out what exactly. (Im stubborn though so ill probably bat around with it for a few months to figure it out)

Try a more 'user-friendly' Linux such as Ubuntu and openSUSE which will allow you to avoid a terminal like the plague, also when openSUSE big bad bill promesses he will not sue you... Really, he said that.. The thing about linux is that there are hundreds of distros some better maintained then others and most looking for a small nitch of users.. And the simple fact that your install fails points out that most likly your distro is ment for somone with more experiance or isn't maintained right.

And about vode::blocks taking so long to install.. It can be cut down to the following once you get its dependacys installed..

#! /bin/bashsvn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/codeblocks/trunkcd trunk./configure --with-contrib-plugins=allmakesudo make install

Just make a file called update.sh put that in there and you can just run it by first doing 'chmod 700 update.sh' and every time after you just need to run ./update.sh..
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Yann L
I'm just finding that linux is really hard to use. All of the "sudo apt-get" commands I try fail, any install I try fails. I have to be doing something wrong but its hard to find out what exactly.

You aren't necessarily doing something wrong. Linux is extremely user unfriendly (partially done on purpose). Failures in compiling and/or installing software packages are very common. In fact, they happen so often, it has almost become the norm. The main problem is that most open source software packages have undergone very poor or no quality control at all. Often, they will only build on systems with very specific configurations and dependencies. Installing some software packages (with all their dependencies) can take many hours, even for seasoned professionals. Oh, the bliss of MSI ;)

If you ever decide to build Code::Blocks from its SVN source (which is highly recommended, since the current 'stable' version is many years old), then follow this tutorial. Now, why the simple process of installing a piece of software requires a several pages long tutorial is completely beyond me (especially since the procedure would require a few mouse clicks under Windows), but trust me, it will help and save you a lot of time.

MSI equivalents .deb or .rpm.

"very specific configurations and dependencies", you mean like how i can run on a ppc and pretty much every cpu architecture just like windows?

Every open source comment you make extremely negative beyond belief. I'm not even a open source fan, but when i read your posts on open source i have to read twice.

i.e user unfriendly "done on purpose"
"The main problem is that most open source software packages have undergone very poor or no quality control at all" - Debian has some of strictest quality control ever.

"Often, they will only build on systems with very specific configurations" - Never had a problem, if its maintained, not just some bloke who dumped his code on the internet,

Personally i would download the latest nightly rather than compile from source.

Edit:
Well that sucks the latest nightly only have ubuntu .debs :/

[Edited by - Alastair Gould on February 23, 2008 8:59:27 PM]
If you're used to Visual Studio I would recommend KDevelop, if it weren't for the small screen size :/

And yes, a lot of linux forums get really protective over who asks what. I found the Gentoo forums to be the friendliest if it helps, although you won't get much help with an apt-based system there.

Hell, I was flamed on IRC for referring to linux with a capital 'L'. Strict naming terms depending on the context it's used in! 'Linux' referring to the kernel, 'linux' referring to the OS collection as a whole. Or the other way round. Don't care.

And those eeePC machines are quite the innovation. I was playing on one for almost an hour in the shop last week.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Quote:Original post by deadstar
If you're used to Visual Studio I would recommend KDevelop, if it weren't for the small screen size :/

And yes, a lot of linux forums get really protective over who asks what. I found the Gentoo forums to be the friendliest if it helps, although you won't get much help with an apt-based system there.

Hell, I was flamed on IRC for referring to linux with a capital 'L'. Strict naming terms depending on the context it's used in! 'Linux' referring to the kernel, 'linux' referring to the OS collection as a whole. Or the other way round. Don't care.

And those eeePC machines are quite the innovation. I was playing on one for almost an hour in the shop last week.

piff, true geeks only refer to it as GNU/linux...

Quote:Original post by Ahnfelt
If you're looking for autocompletion and so on, Netbeans provides.

Wow. I'm seriously impressed.

That is the first Linux IDE I've tried that actually looks good, seems reasonably stable and fast, provides tons of features like refactoring (although most still for Java), offers good debugger integration, working autocompletion, and doesn't use that autotools crap.

The C/C++ module is still somewhat lacking in features, but nonetheless, absolutely usable. And it seems to be a very active community, so new features will be added over time. No wonder, since it's backed by SUN ;)

Very nice work !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement