Screen Effects

Started by
2 comments, last by smally 16 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I've recently come across a website that talks how to in a 2D game with shaders; make the screen go blurry, have double vision, embossed etc. However I'm unsure about how to get this effect going with a 3D game. At the moment I am creating a small 3D game with a 2D background. I've got my background doing these effects but I don't know how I go about with it with my 3D objects.
Advertisement
After rendering the entire scene you can resolve the back buffer (or just directly render into a RGBA render target). On this texture you can then use any of these techniques explained in the site you mentioned (this one, I guess)
Look up the 'PostProcess' sample from the SDK - you can do some of these effects in 3D/object space, but its more common to do them in image space as a post processing step.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Hey thanks, I was thinking it would be done that way but wasn't sure whether that was the best posible way of doing it.

PostProcess was the word I was looking for, for the SDK then :D thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement