OpenGL without X11

Started by
17 comments, last by bloodhound23 16 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by speciesUnknown
Quote:Original post by Dospro
Oh, come on, just use SDL that will do all windowing for you in 2 or 3 calls also it can handle controls(keyboard, mouse, joysticks, etc), sound, threads timers, etc.
I think SDL is much better than GLUT(my opinion).

QFT.
Go with SDL.

QFT2.
Advertisement
How can I do OpenGL with GNOME? Tutorial?
Google for the rescue!

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

GNOME is a Desktop Enviromnent, it has nothing to do with OpenGL, X11 and GLX is the thing that does OpenGL context management and such stuff needed to use OpenGL under X11.

As said, SDL provides an abstraction to X11/GLX so you can use OpenGL with few function calls (And abstracted from the windowing system).
What does QFT mean?

Thanks.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Quote:Original post by bloodhound23
How can I do OpenGL with GNOME? Tutorial?

You just use Gtkglext... but really it's a deficient library, the "best" way would be to get the x11 window from a gtk widget you were planning to draw on and then to use glx calls to draw on it. (note "best" in this case is very subjective, I just hate the system gtkglext would force you to use (set a timer for a set interval which calls the rendering function) )
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Quote:Original post by riruilo
What does QFT mean?

Thanks.

this (internet slang)

kind regards
Uncle
SDL. I started a project recently and it's working perfectly. After a few initial calls it's just like using opengl on windows.
I have a problem, I'm tired though and I won't tell you because I'm too lazy to type.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement