3ds model

Started by
5 comments, last by ankhd 16 years, 1 month ago
What's it take to import a model from 3ds max into directx? My knowledge of direct3d so far is getting some spheres to bounce around on the screen. I know I'll need to some sort of exporter software but I need some direction. I'm going to check out the documentation but thought I'd throw this up in case someone would like to tell me in their own words or techniques. Thanks to anyone with advice :)
Advertisement
Well, you have a few options, you could utilize Panda Directx Exporter for 3DS MAX to convert the files to (.x) files, and then simply load them into your program, via a simple x-file loader; which can be done by the simple tutorial here. Another good bit of reference material, can be found here.

If the exporter does not work, another alternative to converting (.3ds to .x) is "conv3ds.exe", if you do a google search, you can find some documentation on how to utilize it, it was formerly in the Microsoft DirectX SDK.

Lastly, if you don't want to convert, you could attempt to code your own loader. Which, a few can be found at Flipcode. Though, you will probably have more flexibility utilizing (.X) files instead.

Best of luck, with your endeavors.
[size="2"][size="1"][size="2"]- Quinn
[size="2"][size="1"][size="2"]Software Developer, Mintrus
eureka! more than I bargained for and it doesn't seem too difficult either. thank you
Hi, there is this exporter as well It works good

http://kwxport.sourceforge.net/
Okay, thanks for the extra link! I'm going to work on this project today and may have more questions on this topic throughout the week.
I installed the kW x-port plugin. It's loaded inside 3ds but I don't know how to export it. Clicking on file-> export only exports as a 3dsmax file format, not a .x file. There must be a dialog box somewhere with all the kW-xport options but I can't see it anywhere

------------------------------

I had to massage the file->export menu a little bit to make the .x option appear. Saves as .x now.

[Edited by - induster on March 6, 2008 1:20:44 PM]
Hi, there is two ways you can export your mesh in 3d smax using kwxport.
You can export thw whole scene by just going to file->Export a dialog box shows up then in the Save as file types you scroll down untill you find the kwxporter
then select and that will bring up your dialog with all setting you need.

The other way is to just select the model you want to export and select export selected under file->Export Selected.

And thats all there is to it you will need to set params for the kwxport the web page tells you what you need to know there.
Hope that helps. Happy Exportting bye.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement