[web] PHP and who "owns" the code

Started by
10 comments, last by UltimaX 16 years ago
is the source code even required for the project, or they just looking for a deliverable? As I believe you can Zend encode the php files and keep the source to yourself.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by eedok
is the source code even required for the project, or they just looking for a deliverable? As I believe you can Zend encode the php files and keep the source to yourself.

It just all depends on the project and what you agree to. For instance, if you were design some PHP project and sold it as an application then you would want to protect the code (I assume it would have proprietary information and what not). You would be selling it as a product and not as a service. However, if a company hires you to design a website or another program for them, then that is another story. They should own whatever you designed for them unless it is explicitly stated otherwise. Just like right now, I am designing a website for a company and they are paying me for my time. In return they get the service and they get the product produced by the services. Of course we have nothing in writing, but that is just the way I do business (I stay honest with them). What if a company decides they no longer want your services for any reason? Then they get someone else only to find out that they can’t update the code? I am certain (depending on the cost and what not) they will be looking for you. If it was only a couple hundred dollars then I doubt they will even bother. I am doing an application program for another company and they have at least $80,000 in this project. If I was to ditch without providing the code I can almost bet that they would be after me! It’s overall a touch subject, but as stated before; it’s always best to contact an attorney.

[EDIT]
Just found this interesting article: http://www.cybertriallawyer.com/articles/DL_practEcomm_webContracts.pdf

Also, I think everyone should read this as well. I learnt a lot from it... http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=147844

Still seems like a gray area though?

[Edited by - UltimaX on April 8, 2008 2:52:08 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement