Some noobie questions

Started by
0 comments, last by argonaut 16 years, 1 month ago
Hi all, Firstly, I haven't had time to fully browse all the forum areas yet so I apologise in advance if I am asking a question that has been answered many times before. Over the last few years I have read several books on programming, from VB5 to C++ and tbh I never stuck with any of them. Mainly because I never have anything to apply the programming too. So, I am a gamer and I would like to recreate some of my favourite old games so that they are playable on newer systems. My first game I want to revamp is an oldie called Covert Action. I was wondering if there is any legal complications when doing this? I would also like to make the games multi-platform instead of just limiting myself to windows so I was thinking of maybe writing in python as I have started to learn it. Is there anything to be especially aware of when writing for multi-platforms or in python for that matter? Any links or advice will be gratefully received :D
Advertisement
I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

Quote:
Over the last few years I have read several books on programming, from VB5 to C++ and tbh I never stuck with any of them. Mainly because I never have anything to apply the programming too.

This is kinda weird, and probably reinforces the "geek" image, but the most effective programmers(even in games) tend to view the real world in matters of problems to be solved. The next time your remote or cell frustrates you, think "how would I design this better". Design is what programming is for.

A real world example of this: I figure out ways to install missiles in my minivan for the next time a semi cuts me off -- its not real, but its the way I think.

Quote:
So, I am a gamer and I would like to recreate some of my favourite old games so that they are playable on newer systems. My first game I want to revamp is an oldie called Covert Action. I was wondering if there is any legal complications when doing this?

No, there are no legal complications as long as it is a private project. Instead of remaking Covert Action, try expanding on the ideas that made it great.

Quote:
I would also like to make the games multi-platform instead of just limiting myself to windows so I was thinking of maybe writing in python as I have started to learn it. Is there anything to be especially aware of when writing for multi-platforms or in python for that matter?

Forget about this for the moment. Learn to make a game first. Learning to make a game for Windows will take a couple of months, depending on how much time you have. Porting or cross platform development is a very serious effort.

I think you will have quite a bit of fun remaking some of your favorite games from the past -- I know I have! Good luck to you, man.

~Argonaut________________________________Why "~Argonaut"? It's all just a mathematical expression denoting a close approximation of "Argonaut", which is irrational and can't be precisely defined.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement