"no healthbar" gameplay mechanic for fps/tps

Started by
18 comments, last by JasRonq 16 years, 1 month ago
But then suicide may not be a good strategy from a team point of view. If you've got even one limb left, it may be better to fight on rather than surrender a point, since you at least have the advantage of location. It's not an insurmountable problem, but it's something to keep in mind.
Advertisement
What Yahtzee has to say about FPS games with no health bar...

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Quote:Original post by Sneftel
But then suicide may not be a good strategy from a team point of view. If you've got even one limb left, it may be better to fight on rather than surrender a point, since you at least have the advantage of location. It's not an insurmountable problem, but it's something to keep in mind.

See, now you're already talking strategy! Good! I don't think this is really a problem. You see, I didn't say the player SHOULD surrender their core, but there is always that option.

You're right, it may be better to keep fighting with only an arm left. Maybe you just need to land one more shot to totally "dis-arm" the last opponent. Perhaps you just need to act as a decoy while your teamates flank the enemy. Who knows. But I think this speaks to the mechanic's simplistic strength rather than being a problem. I'm glad to see you're thinking about this one. Keep up the questions. I can get a feel for how well I'm explaining this/how good my ideas really are with posts like yours. Thanks!

This sounds pretty awesome. I hope you manage to implement these ideas because it sounds like a fun game!
I realy love this idea. Too bad I didnt came up with it myself.

It should be possible to upgrade the cores and there should be different cores with slightly different abilities. Some cores dont loose limbs so fast, some cores have more energy so you can run faster etc. Maby some upgrades or special cores are located on the map. When you spawn you have to choose between the cores in the base. If you choose the best core all the enemies will hunt you and if you choose a poor core you can take more chances. It should also be several bases and you can choose which one you would like to spawn in. Of course you must also choose which core in base to use. If there are no cores in that particular base you cant spawn there.
Sounds like a great idea, I do have one suggestion though. If you give a weak default weapon to the indestructible core, and allow it to rotate in all directions, you will give the player more of an incentive to stay with the body rather than just respawn. By altering the strength of this weapon you would be able to balance the risk/reward ratio of respawning vs staying put. Also, am I right in thinking that when you respawn you use up a core from your base?
inherently interactive - my game design blog
Torfas, you just touched on the last part of my game idea...No cores in the base means you can't spawn in them! I'll just post a CONCISE version of all this in a new topic.

Also, your core upgrade idea is really interesting. It adds a layer of customization to the game that might hold the attention of hardcore players who like long-term rewards. Thanks for all the feedback!
It sounds like a fun concept. The only flaw I can see is that you've given incentives for waiting (doing nothing) on the ground with a crippled core for an unknown amount of time, which is something no one will enjoy doing.

You may have enough room to allow players that have nothing but a core to slowly recover on their own. Such as magnetically pulling themselves slowly in certain directions to obtain a limb. If the other team secures the core, the magnetic ability becomes pretty useless. But if they were to, for example, set it down to defend a position, the core could try to sneak away.
Give the core a sniper rifle style gun, delayed wait time to shoot but something powerful enough to make a player want to wait there. The core can be returned to any spawn zone? with spawn zones ranging across the level to places more int he action and ones more towards the main base? This way you can either get people to respawn right near the action or somewhere safe so they don't die when they spawn.

EDIT: And what if as a core, and you kill an enemy, it gives you power to draw back in a limb (like the reverse of how the guy above me put it). If it's a fast game then it shouldn't be hard to get limbs back. It would be cool if you could get custom limbs and build your bot differently than others. Maybe adding little RPG elements. Like if you guys win a round at the end you get to rush in and kill everyone like in TF2 but this time they drop items that could be rare, unique, money stuff like that. Giving players more reasons to play a lot. What about using other player's limbs when you are missing some? I think it would be funny if two players were just cores fighting over some sort of super turret arm that was laying in between them.
Keep in mind that whatever capabilities you give the core, they shouldnt be better than a fully functioning robot, after all, you arent suppose to be fully functioning. Also, if they are too good, the players will want to use them all the time. Having your arms and legs shot off should not be a good thing by any measure.

Besides, you could always respawn, then go get your old core to bring to your base before the enemy finds it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement