Guidance

Started by
12 comments, last by oler1s 16 years, 1 month ago
Aww thanks so much man, that site is really helpful!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by bschneid
What do you already know? It's often best to learn a language itself before using any sort of engine because engines just complicate things. I, like you, knew HTML before I programmed with anything, but HTML is a markup language, not a programming language, and while the experience is still valuable, it doesn't make you a whole lot better at programming with a real language. You say you know some C++; How much is "basic C++"? Your problem is most likely that you just don't have enough experience with C++ and should go back and learn it better/more before attempting to use Torque.

This is the best advice StapledPuppet.

You are doing very well getting into c++ at 13 years old. Try and stick with it mate. Trying to understand a game engine before you understand the programming language fully (or to a very competent level), it uses is like trying to run before you can walk.

Best of luck.
For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.
Thanks, thats what my dad said to me when I got stressed, hehe ;)
(run before you can walk)
Here are my thoughts. Not exactly organized, sorry.

- I think you have the right motivation to get into programming. You're playing around with various programs, and now you want to get seriously further in your studies.
- I feel like you are becoming too dependent upon third party programs rather than generic concepts you can carry. Dreamweaver is just a tool. It should not become a crutch in web development. And Torque can be a fun way to get into game programming, but at some point you need to stop and sit down, and work through the fundamentals from ground up.
- I think when someone finds a new topic to be exceedingly difficult, it's because they haven't done something fundamentally prerequisite.
- Your C++ knowledge is utterly basic. So you really haven't done any programming.
- Don't use C++ for a while. It's a bad beginner's language, relative to other current popular languages.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement