Guidance

Started by
12 comments, last by oler1s 16 years, 1 month ago
Hello. I am a 13 year old who has been very interested in game and development of them for many years. Firstly, before games appealed to me, and I just played them, I was very interested in website development. So, I asked around, searched the internet, and eventually heard of Dreamweaver. Of course, I couldn't afford it. Then I went on to learn HTML and a different, free program. I then, after about 3 or 4 months bought the 3D Gamemaker. I thought it was awesome. That was when I was about 10. I couldn't really do much with it though. Now I am 13 and have quite a spread out knowledge of computing. Photoshop, HTML, basic C++, 3D Modelling (3DS Max, Maya, etc.). I also persuaded my parents into loaning me £300 to get me started in proper game development. i bought a few Torque Programs. I found this very difficult to grasp, and so I got the 2D version. I handled this a bit more easily, but now I am just stuck, and feel as though I am at the peak of knowledge in which I can learn, because I am finding it very difficult. I know quite of lot of languages and have tried my hand at learning them, but still and finding things awefully difficult. So, I came here to ask all you intelligent people to help me out, give me a few pointers, some advice. Anything will help. Thanks in advance, George. -----------------------------
Advertisement
What do you already know? It's often best to learn a language itself before using any sort of engine because engines just complicate things. I, like you, knew HTML before I programmed with anything, but HTML is a markup language, not a programming language, and while the experience is still valuable, it doesn't make you a whole lot better at programming with a real language. You say you know some C++; How much is "basic C++"? Your problem is most likely that you just don't have enough experience with C++ and should go back and learn it better/more before attempting to use Torque.
Quote:Original post by StapledPuppet
Hello. I am a 13 year old who has been very interested in game and development of them for many years.

Firstly, before games appealed to me, and I just played them, I was very interested in website development. So, I asked around, searched the internet, and eventually heard of Dreamweaver. Of course, I couldn't afford it. Then I went on to learn HTML and a different, free program.

I then, after about 3 or 4 months bought the 3D Gamemaker. I thought it was awesome. That was when I was about 10. I couldn't really do much with it though. Now I am 13 and have quite a spread out knowledge of computing. Photoshop, HTML, basic C++, 3D Modelling (3DS Max, Maya, etc.). I also persuaded my parents into loaning me £300 to get me started in proper game development.

I bought a few Torque Programs. I found this very difficult to grasp, and so I got the 2D version. I handled this a bit more easily, but now I am just stuck, and feel as though I am at the peak of knowledge in which I can learn, because I am finding it very difficult.

I know quite of lot of languages and have tried my hand at learning them, but still and finding things awefully difficult. So, I came here to ask all you intelligent people to help me out, give me a few pointers, some advice. Anything will help.

Thanks in advance, George.
-----------------------------

Fixed for readability :3.

What kind of goal do you have in game development? Making games for money (Business) or fun (Hobby)?
Thanks for the advice. Basic C++ is really just simple functions, variable, the 'Hello World!' script. So... thats really all.
@ ChJees Both to be honest. It seems to be very fun, but I aslo plan to work for myself or some companies. I don't really mind.
Have you yet made a simple Pong like game or Tetris?
I ahve tried my hand at making tetris, but once again, to be honest I have never made a proper succesful game, except when I made a basic MORPG, but my computer crashed and I hadn't backed up so... I just really want to find a really decent tutorial. But then I don't know what language I wan't to use.
Try Lazy Foo's tutorials with SDL and you will learn Game logic in no time :> .

http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php
What is SDL?
Cross-Platform Media\Game library wich is containing nearly everything you need to be able to create games fast.

It also supports OpenGL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement