Interesting programming/computer related concepts?

Started by
7 comments, last by Silvo 16 years, 1 month ago
G'day, I am doing a high-school course called the "IB diploma program", and a component of this is something called the Extended Essay (EE). It is basically a 4000 word essay on something relating to a subject in the IB. I'd like to do mine in Computer Science, and am curious to know if any of you know of some sort of advanced/complicated/interesting computer science related concepts. I am especially interested in programming and software engineering. I may not necessarily do my EE in computer science, but I thought I'd like to, seeing as I enjoy programming so much. I saw someone else who did their's on genetic algorithms, and that looked very interesting. Anyway, if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
Advertisement
Natural language processing (NLP). I'm sure you can find a lot of material through Google and Wikipedia. I also recommend downloading the free Natural Language Toolkit (NLTK). A quick glance at your post history shows you already know Python so that will speed things up.

Thank you! I have previously put much consideration into the limitations of English, and how difficult it would be for an AI to interact with a person. I also vaguely remember looking into Lobjan, or something like that, which is supposedly an entirely unambiguous language.

This could be very interesting... I still need to investigate it some more to see if there is enough information available and if I can form a topic question on which to write my essay.

Thank you very much!
Here's a few random ideas you might find interesting; just pop them into Google/Wikipedia and that should get you started on research:

• Turing equivalence/completeness

• Gödel's incompleteness theorem

• Are brains Turing machines?

• P vs. NP problems; NP-hard vs. NP complete problems

• Lock-free concurrency

• Why Lisp is such a powerful language

(The last one is a bonus question. It'll make you think very hard, but probably won't require a whole lot of research. If you need to make a lot of good citations for this paper, pick a different topic; if you just need a great bit of discourse, I'd recommend giving it a shot.)

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Wow, thank you very much! I will look into those when I get the chance. As for the Lisp one, I will look into that, even though I probably wont choose it for my topic as I do need to include citations and it is basically a research task, but Lisp has interested me in the past.

Thanks again, I have a lot to read into.

Any other ideas anyone?
Do it on the church-turing thesis (Computability). Thats what i have currently been reading up on.
or the cooke-leven theorem (complexity).
Thank you also, ibebrett. Hopefully today I'll have enough time to research these properly.
Loosely related to some of these ideas, and perhaps worth a Google, are Neural Nets and Genetic Algorithms.
dmatter:

I have looked in Genetic Algorithms, and they interest me a lot. I am seriously considering it as a plausible option from my essay. I have not looked into neral nets before, but I have heard about them, so I will have to look into them whenever I get the chance (whenever that will be!).

Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement