Please Help, Strange request.

Started by
12 comments, last by Sc4Freak 16 years ago
Im relatively sure that simple serial port communications is easy with VB, and there is no real reason not to use it. How USB communication works though, is beyond my experience. I have taken a class in which i learned about its network model, but actually using it correctly i have no clue.
Advertisement
Under modern windows versions, hardware access is off-limits anyway, regardless of language.

USB access, just like every other thing, is an API, everything is HID in this case. VB, just like everything else, is merely syntax - the library it uses is .Net. As such, VB.Net has access to exactly the same things as C++, C# or F#.

Reading from USB device is hence trivial.

The only problem comes from sending to PSX. A quick google shows that old controllers work with it without a problem, meaning that PSX protocol is standard. It would however require creating sort of null-model USB cable, where the PC would act as controller.

Then it's just a matter of finding the protocol information and sending it, again, via USB interface.

I'm not saying it's easy, but the VB bashing is completely unwarranted here, since it's unrelated to the problem.
Guys, you are insane!

You obviously have heard these bullshit things from C programmers that dislike VB programmers.

I use ALL types of languages, from Fortran and Basic to C# and MIPs.

I know the truth of the matter.

VB can do ANYTHING within the Windows OS that C#, C++ and any other language can do.

Outside of Windows that is a completely different story.

Honestly, when VB compiles and runs it is running as C/MIPS code. VB is just a simple GUI driven platform. When Windows runs a VB program, it runs it just like it does any other program.

Hardware is NOT locked out in VB.
Thats crazy. We made UPC scanners, belts and LED Displays all within VB.

So I really don't want to argue about this anymore. I know what VB is capable of doing. Listen, you name one thing that VB can't do, Inside of the Windows OS, that C can.

Other then that, I would just like to hear any ideas or information on how to do this, from within VB or not. I don't care what platform, for me, ALL of the platforms have the same problem, I just don't know how to make a pass-thru device. I can do inputs and outputs, but have never tried or heard of a pass-thru device.
We know that VB can do everything C/C++ can - it's a turing complete language after all. But it may not be the best tool for the job.

Keep in mind that we are really just trying to help you here. Windows drivers were intended to be written in C/C++. It's certainly possible to use VB for this, I agree. But it's probably going to be harder than just using straight C++ for example.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement