glDrawPixels help needed

Started by
3 comments, last by juuso 16 years ago
Hi everyone. I'm a beginner in opengl and c++, and i wanted to create an example for using gldrawpixels. My source compiles but runs into exception. I wanted to draw a 600x600 window, with each pixel set to 0.5 in red,greenn, and blue. Here is the source, can you tell me, what is the problem, and how should i do it correctly?: Thanks, Peter #include <math.h> #include <stdlib.h> #ifdef WIN32 #include <windows.h> #endif #include <GL/gl.h> #include <GL/glu.h> #include <GL/glut.h> void Init( ) { glViewport(0, 0, 600, 600); glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); glLoadIdentity( ); glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); glLoadIdentity( ); gluOrtho2D(0., 600., 0., 600.); } void onDisplay( ) { glClearColor(1, 0, 0, 0); glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT); // // struct RGBType {float r; float g; float b;}; RGBType pixels[600][600]; for (int i=0;i<599;i++) for(int j=0;j<599;j++) { pixels[j].r=0.5; pixels[j].g=0.5; pixels[j].b=0.5; } //RGBType * pix;pix=&pixels glDrawPixels(600,600,GL_RGB,GL_FLOAT,pixels); glutSwapBuffers(); } void onMousePress(int button, int state, int x, int y) { } void onIdle( ) { } void onKeyboard(unsigned char key, int x, int y) { } //~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ void main(int argc, char * argv[]) { glutInit(&argc, argv); glutInitWindowSize(600, 600); glutInitWindowPosition(100, 100); glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_RGB | GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_DEPTH); glutCreateWindow("Grafika hazi feladat"); Init(); glutDisplayFunc(onDisplay); glutMouseFunc(onMousePress); glutIdleFunc(onIdle); glutKeyboardFunc(onKeyboard); glutMainLoop(); }
Advertisement
Hi nextman.

If you're getting an unhandled exception, you need to tell us where in your code the exception it was thrown and what the exception was.

Also, shouldn't this:

RGBType pixels[600][600];for (int i=0;i<599;i++)  for(int j=0;j<599;j++) {    pixels[j].r=0.5;    pixels[j].g=0.5;    pixels[j].b=0.5;  }

be this?

RGBType pixels[600][600];for (int i=0;i<600;i++)  for(int j=0;j<600;j++) {    pixels[j].r=0.5;    pixels[j].g=0.5;    pixels[j].b=0.5;  }
Hi nextman,

there were a couple of small problems with your code.

1. You created a two-dimensional array "RGBType pixels[600][600]", but you treated it like it was just a normal one-dimensional array. You can't do that :). A 2D array is actually an array of arrays.

2. The program still crashed because of a stack overflow. That happens when you create something that takes a large amount of memory, but don't do it properly. In C++, you should use "new" and "delete" for big things like your 600x600 pixel array. If you want a technical explanation, google for the terms "heap" and "stack".

Below is the fixed code. It should compile, and show a beautiful grey screen without problems :). Hope this helps!

-juuso

#include <math.h>#include <stdlib.h>#ifdef WIN32#include <windows.h>#endif#include <GL/glut.h>struct RGBType {	float r;	float g;	float b;};void Init( ) {	glViewport(0, 0, 600, 600);	glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);	glLoadIdentity( );	glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);	glLoadIdentity( );	gluOrtho2D(0., 600., 0., 600.);}void onDisplay( ) {	glClearColor(1, 0, 0, 0);	glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);	// Dynamically create a big one-dimensional array for the pixels	RGBType *pixels = new RGBType[600*600];	for (int i=0; i< 600*600; i++) {		pixels.r=0.5;		pixels.g=0.5;		pixels.b=0.5;	}		glDrawPixels(600,600,GL_RGB,GL_FLOAT,pixels);	glutSwapBuffers();	// Remember to delete any dynamically created stuff!	delete[] pixels;}void onMousePress(int button, int state, int x, int y) {}void onIdle( ) {}void onKeyboard(unsigned char key, int x, int y) {}void main(int argc, char * argv[]) {	glutInit(&argc, argv);	glutInitWindowSize(600, 600);	glutInitWindowPosition(100, 100);	glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_RGB | GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_DEPTH);	glutCreateWindow("Grafika hazi feladat");	Init();	glutDisplayFunc(onDisplay);	glutMouseFunc(onMousePress);	glutIdleFunc(onIdle);	glutKeyboardFunc(onKeyboard);	glutMainLoop();}
Thanks you guys, yes , that was really helpful.
I wonder though, if i want to change the color of the pixel in the 234. row and 45. column, which one is it now?
600*234+45??
Quote:Original post by nextman
I wonder though, if i want to change the color of the pixel in the 234. row and 45. column, which one is it now?
600*234+45??

Basically yes. It depends a little on how you count your rows and columns. You might want to use 600*(y-1)+(x-1), giving 600*233+44.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement