Enable debugging in library (MSVC)

Started by
4 comments, last by Evil Steve 16 years ago
My project ("Ballistic") uses SOIL (Simple OpenGL Image Library) as a static library and i have added the VS project for it to my project Solution. My project has debugging info enables and it compiled a debug file "Ballistic.pdb" (as well as "vc80.pdb", i don't know what this one is). But SOIL has no "SOIL.pdb" only a "vc80.pdb". When debugging my project it can't find any symbols from the SOIL lib. How can i enable debugging in this project. thanks
[Window Detective] - Windows UI spy utility for programmers
Advertisement
Can't. AFIK, You'll have to build SOIL from scratch with debugging information.
Yeah, i can build it from scratch. I added it as a VS project, i.e. to compile source code. I want to know how to actually add "debugging information", unless you just mean printf statements to output values and stuff. But i mean build it with debugging info build into the .lib file so the VS debugger can step through code. You know what i mean?
Quote:Original post by XTAL256
Yeah, i can build it from scratch. I added it as a VS project, i.e. to compile source code. I want to know how to actually add "debugging information", unless you just mean printf statements to output values and stuff. But i mean build it with debugging info build into the .lib file so the VS debugger can step through code. You know what i mean?

If the SOIL project is in your solution and it generated a .pdb, VS should be able to link the symbols to the source code when you're debugging. To generate the debugging info, go to project settings->linker->debugging.

Yeah, but SOIL is a library (.lib) so all it has in the settings is "Librarian". settings->librarian->???, there doesn't seem to be any debugging settings for the librarian.

EDIT: Hmm, i just started debugging my project and clicked on "Show Disassembly" when asked (because it couldn't find any symbols) but it still showed the source code in between asm. And it recognises symbols from the SOIL source (if i mouse over them it displays their value), so i can get by with that.
Quote:Original post by XTAL256
EDIT: Hmm, i just started debugging my project and clicked on "Show Disassembly" when asked (because it couldn't find any symbols) but it still showed the source code in between asm. And it recognises symbols from the SOIL source (if i mouse over them it displays their value), so i can get by with that.
Then you should be qable to right click in the disassembly and select "Go to source" to get it to display the source code and trace through.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement