Crytek: pc gaming not worth it

Started by
71 comments, last by nobodynews 15 years, 12 months ago
I dont think online PC gaming (MMORPGs, RTS, online shooters) or indie developement will die soon. There are advantages to developing on PC platforms and their technology, especially when the current crop of consoles will be starting to lag behind in terms of pure performance.

There's always gonna be new developments on the PC, but developping for PC exclusively isn't really done anymore. Consoles make too much business sense.

Everything is better with Metal.

Advertisement
Would it be a leap of logic to believe that as the next set of DX 10 capable PCs roll out that more people will be in the position to actually play that game without their hardware crying for dear mercy? And therefore, the game sales for Crysis will go up? So they won't have a Halo or GTA first week sales figure but they will eventually hit the same number of total game sold in the roughly the same time frame.

So assuming I make sense and I'm right, why complain?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Oh, and on the subject of pc gaming not being worth it on a personal level: right now I prefer console gaming to desktop gaming. On my pc I basically just browse the internet, e-mail, chat, listen to music, and play card games. If it weren't for the fact that I damaged my computer I'd probably keep this one for several more years. Instead I'll get a $600 laptop in a few months or so and then use that one until I get hardware failures or lose software support. I'll play some 'older' pc games that will run on it and ones that don't I'll play next time I upgrade and get those from the bargain bin.

Contrast this with my console which should last another 4+ years and I know will get plenty of games I'll want to play. I don't care for RTSs or MMOs really so I won't be missing out on that. Not only that, but I don't need to play all the cool bleeding edge games, because right now I only play games around 10 hours a week at most even when I get new games. Graphics don't hold too much allure in my view. The games that I will get for my system I know I won't need to upgrade for or check for bugfixes. They'll have higher resale value in case I want to trade them in for a different game. They're more community based for when I want to have friends over.

There's nothing wrong with PC gaming and it'll last for as long as people use PCs, but at least for this generation of consoles I've made my choice.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement