DirectX10 Highlighting

Started by
10 comments, last by MJP 15 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by Silver Fox
Commonly,we have to do three steps of job.First,do a normal-based edge detection(seperate the edge and other part of the object with different colors).Then,perform a blur effect.Finally,combine the result with the original image.Is that right?
Not far off but it would be more common to use a high-pass filter than an edge-detect. The blurring is usually to simulate the bleeding you'd get through a lens with very bright light - thus you want to high-pass and reject any pixels with a brightness behind a certain threshold.

However, the fun of post-processing effects is that you can throw in different steps and still get interesting results back. Try the edge-detect, it might well give you some pretty cool effects - I suspect it might give you a sort of halo/outline result.

Otherwise,I find myself difficult in the HLSL language,can you introduce me some useful books.
I don't tend to read graphics books (except for the older classic texts) but you could look into the ShaderX series and/or GPU Gems.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Commonly,we have to do three steps of job.First,do a normal-based edge detection(seperate the edge and other part of the object with different colors).Then,perform a blur effect.Finally,combine the result with the original image.Is that right?
Not far off but it would be more common to use a high-pass filter than an edge-detect. The blurring is usually to simulate the bleeding you'd get through a lens with very bright light - thus you want to high-pass and reject any pixels with a brightness behind a certain threshold.

He wants to do an edge-glow effect, like in the D3D9 PostProcess sample (not a straight-up bloom). That's why he's talking about doing an edge-detection on the normals, and not a threshold.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement