Speed up Compile Times

Started by
31 comments, last by Rydinare 15 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by programering
Rydinare: 2M LOC, that's really a lot. How many files? How many megs?

I went to check how many files, because I really didn't know. All I can say is ugh. It explains a lot of the problems that this project has had.

About 2500 source files and 3500 header files. When you factor that in with the amount of lines of code, it expresses that the average file is large, and some of them are downright huge. Brutal. I shiver to think how few files there were before I came on the project.

As for the size of the source, it's tough to say because there's so much other junk interspersed. I'll simply say that upon doing a checkout to a new branch, an unbuilt branch is over 1 GB. There is some third party stuff bundled in that total though, which probably accounts for a fair portion.
Advertisement
1GB that's definitly a extreme size record. You've not developed that alone? It must be a commercial game. What game is it?

Edit:
Sorry I was just excited to hear.
But let's return to the topic. Let's summarize, what's the conclusion.
1GB that's definitly a extreme size record. You've not developed that alone? It must be a commercial game. What game is it?

Oh, I'm not currently in the games industry. It's a medical application. [smile] Though this now gives me a background of having worked on professional apps of widely ranging sizes, the smallest being somewhere around 15k, if I remember correctly. This is the first one over a million LOC, but another came close. [smile]

Edit:
Sorry I was just excited to hear.
But let's return to the topic. Let's summarize, what's the conclusion.

I think the general premise is precompiled headers are a good thing, but don't put unstable headers in a precompiled header. Obviously, some other interesting speed-up techniques were mentioned too. Past that, we also learned to get a kickass machine by ArmitageIII87. [razz]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement