Skate Engine?

Started by
15 comments, last by Enlighter 15 years, 12 months ago
Anyone know what engine was used, if its available? Are there any similar to it out? I have looked on the googles and many other places and not found much of anything so I figured asking here might be worth a shot.
www.jiblife.info
Advertisement
And by Skate I am referring to EA's Black Box game. And thank you to anyone who provides information in advance.
www.jiblife.info
It used a heavily modified version of the WOLF3D engine, modified to include a subset of HTML+Variables.

On a serious note, why do you want to know? These things could be trade secrets and hard to get ahold of.
Quote:Original post by eedok
It used a heavily modified version of the WOLF3D engine, modified to include a subset of HTML+Variables.

Oh, so the same thing as the Hockey MMORPG...

But yeah seriously these things aren't easy to find for a reason. They aren't supposed to be known.

Sent you a PM in answer to your question.
www.jiblife.info
Not trying to steal anyones ideas so to speak. Just inquiring.
www.jiblife.info
Quote:Original post by Enlighter
Sent you a PM in answer to your question.

Huh, what? Whose question? Yours?
eedok, sorry should have used the quote function.
www.jiblife.info
Quote:I am actually heading up the design of a project that has very similar needs as the skate engine.

Can't really get into to much detail about it without having an NDA signed or the likes. We are currently in the first art stages of the game, and just thinking about how we might want to code it.

We have the funding to get a hold of just about any engine that is available, and if we don't directly have it, we have enough companies interested in the project to get it.

So any info you can provide would be super helpful.

We can't help you with similar needs, we need specifics to be of any help.

So...

What do you need the engine to do?
So much for the privacy of PM's eh?

The main things we find attractive about the engine are the large playable world, with little to no load times, the physics (mainly how realistic the gameplay actually is, not sure if this is a function of the engine itself or the work of skilled animators), the controls (use of both analog sticks is crucial), the gameplay modes, especially the online gameplay.

Some things that it didn't have as well, such as a level editor that is easy to use and learn for anyone.

Hope that helps a bit. I know this is a very serious community and I am simply looking for guidance. Not trying to be a jerk or sound like a novice. I appreciate the help and I am not trying to take industry secrets from anyone, just trying to get pointed in the right direction and learn as I go.

I have never headed up a project always been on the back end of it and never actually dealt with the engine on any real level so I am new to how they work and how to describe what exactly it is we are looking for.

Again I appreciate the help and any further help. The more questions people ask the more I will learn so I thank you all.
www.jiblife.info

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement