Which guitar should I get

Started by
23 comments, last by NLDEV 15 years, 11 months ago
I have a friend with a more expensive ibanez and it's beautiful. The photos of those two also make the Washburn look lame in comparison.

I have the Yamaha APX 500 and I think it's great; I don't know if they do a leftie version though.

What is actually different on a left-handed version, than restringing a normal version?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by arke
The idea behind a left-handed guitar is stupid. Honestly, get and learn a regular guitar. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble in the long run.
It worked for The Beatles. Learning to play with your "wrong" hand is a major task, although it's possible of course.

Why learn right-handed and limit myself?

In almost every instance where I tried to learn something right handed, as soon as I decided to go left handed, within 1/10th the time I was already better than before.

And to d000hg:

I don't think it's as simple flipping the strings :P
Especially in a cutaway guitar, where the actual design needs to be manufactured as a mirror image.
Quote:Original post by bgilb

Especially in a cutaway guitar, where the actual design needs to be manufactured as a mirror image.
DOH!

Quote:Original post by d000hg
I have a friend with a more expensive ibanez and it's beautiful. The photos of those two also make the Washburn look lame in comparison.

I have the Yamaha APX 500 and I think it's great; I don't know if they do a leftie version though.

What is actually different on a left-handed version, than restringing a normal version?

It will be upside down, not really comfy, especially for balance and higher fret access. The nut will have to be flipped around or changed too, and the bridge might not fit the strings. Unless you want to play left handed AND upside down :) Some do.

And why playing left handed is 'stupid'? There are advantages to playing right-handed gear when it comes to choices, but if you want to play left handed why not. Just understand that you will have a lot less choice, and trying out gear will be a problem. At least you'll have less problems with people wanting to borrow your gear :) I'm leftie playing right handed btw.

Everything is better with Metal.

Well, you could do like Hendrix and play a right handed guitar upside down!
I've heard from people who are all over the map. There are lefties who prefer right handed guitars, because it gives them a lot of precision and dexterity in fretting. There's the guys who will take a right handed and flip it, Hendrix style. And there's the group who can only play the rather rare lefty guitars.

Your call. Just don't rule out the other options. Playing a right handed guitar will mean your picking hand is weaker and your fretting hand stronger -- this isn't necessarily a handicap.

Alternately, you could be
">this guy.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Took me some time to get my right hand up to speed (slapping especially, I play bass). It's more natural from the left hand, but you build muscle memory and go from there.

Everything is better with Metal.

I don't know much about guitars, but my acoustic is symmetrical (unlike the two you are looking at). I could convert it to a lefty just by swapping the strings. Could that be an option?
Quote:Original post by d000hg
Quote:Original post by arke
The idea behind a left-handed guitar is stupid. Honestly, get and learn a regular guitar. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble in the long run.
It worked for The Beatles. Learning to play with your "wrong" hand is a major task, although it's possible of course.

In almost every instance where I tried to learn something right handed, as soon as I decided to go left handed, within 1/10th the time I was already better than before.

The reason guitars have the right hand where it is in regular cases is because music used to put more emphasis on that hand, where the left hand would grab a chord and do minor moving, and the right hand would do complex picking (think banjo playing). These days it's flipped, so a lefty learning "regular" guitar is actually at an advantage unless you intend to play old folk music.

Also, learning the regular guitar means you can play 99.9% of other guitars out there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement