Which guitar should I get

Started by
23 comments, last by NLDEV 15 years, 11 months ago
I went with the Washburn.

Also I've already been playing left handed for almost two years.

And I do do lots of finger picking so this would be very difficult if I had played right handed. I will admit that my chord changing abilities aren't the greatest, I don't barre chords often and usually do it John Frusciante style with the thumb wrap around
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by arke
Quote:Original post by d000hg
Quote:Original post by arke
The idea behind a left-handed guitar is stupid. Honestly, get and learn a regular guitar. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble in the long run.
It worked for The Beatles. Learning to play with your "wrong" hand is a major task, although it's possible of course.

Quote:Original post by bgilb
Why learn right-handed and limit myself?

In almost every instance where I tried to learn something right handed, as soon as I decided to go left handed, within 1/10th the time I was already better than before.

The reason guitars have the right hand where it is in regular cases is because music used to put more emphasis on that hand, where the left hand would grab a chord and do minor moving, and the right hand would do complex picking (think banjo playing). These days it's flipped, so a lefty learning "regular" guitar is actually at an advantage unless you intend to play old folk music.

Also, learning the regular guitar means you can play 99.9% of other guitars out there.

Since classical music predates rock i'd have to say i disagree there , classical guitar for right handed work just the same as other guitars and yet you're gonna have your left hand moving all over and definately not just swaping a few chords while your right hand may have to play fast but not very precisely.

I'd say it's all about wich hands need to be better and my pick (no clue about how this'd apply to electrics) is the one that picks , why? Because while things are hard to learn once they're learnt you're done with that part , both your right and left hand will know what to do and at that point you'll try to improve and the only thing hand dependant to improve on a piece i can think of is sound production/tone , that's mostly the job of the picking hand and you'll never get too good sound , it can't be too perfect.
im righthanded + play the guitar righthanded but believe the whole things backwards,
ie 80% of the work is in pushing the frets, my righthand has the easy ride.
so why is this the defacto standard?
any info on the why it was chossen this way history ( i assume it came from the strings, violin etc )
with hindsight i should of learnt with a left handed guitar
btw hendrix had huge digits(+ dick, just ask the plaster casters) thus turning the guitar upsidedown was a viable option
http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/mb1lh.html

Yeah, I guess it's Greg Bennett.

I've tried my right handed friend guitar, and my body says "go lefty!"

So I going to use left handed guitar. Nuff said for that left/right question.
Quote:Original post by zedz
im righthanded + play the guitar righthanded but believe the whole things backwards,
ie 80% of the work is in pushing the frets, my righthand has the easy ride.
so why is this the defacto standard?
any info on the why it was chossen this way history ( i assume it came from the strings, violin etc )
with hindsight i should of learnt with a left handed guitar
btw hendrix had huge digits(+ dick, just ask the plaster casters) thus turning the guitar upsidedown was a viable option

As ranakor pointed out, there is a lot of different (and difficult) right hand technique used in guitar, especially classical and flamenco (think tremolo technique, for example).

I play classical guitar. On quite a lot of songs that I play 90% of the difficulty is in the right hand technique. Of course, when I'm doing some strumming and singing things are often quite different.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement