New to console programming

Started by
10 comments, last by cNoob 15 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by _Zac_
I should probably ask this question when I actually know more about programming in C++, but what are the differences in programming for consoles than programming for computers?

It depends.

A console is a computer, the primary difference lying in the fact that the console has (generally) been specialized to particular tasks. For instance, the architecture of the PlayStation 3's CPU coupled with its overall system configuration makes it very, very good at highly parallelizable tasks, and only middle-of-the-pack at some others. Programming for it is fundamentally no different than programming an Intel-based PC running Windows; programming effectively for it, on the other hand, is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

The key in programming a console effectively is understanding what sorts of tasks or small-scale problems the console's hardware is best suited to run, and what the penalties are for suboptimal data sets. Your job, then, is to convert a generic problem such as spatial reasoning for N dynamically deforming and translating objects into formulations that are efficient on the available hardware.

Quote:Original post by cNoob
I thought I would include this here. Getting an official development kit for consoles such as the PS3 or the 360 would require alot of money. Ofcouse there are other ways of getting past this by modding your console of choice but it would be both a hassle and illegal.

Is it illegal to mod your console? You own it; you should be free to bastardize it as you see fit. Yes, there is legislation like the DMCA that seeks to criminalize any circumvention of encryption, but modding a console for the sole purpose of running your own programs and the homebrew programs of others is not illegal.

The gray area arises because the mod chips, by virtue of circumventing signed binary checks, etc, permit consoles to more easily play pirated games.

If you want to get into hobbyist console development, my recommendations are:
  1. Consider an Xbox 360 and XNA. With the Creators Club you can even share your games with other Club members.

2. Consider a Nintendo DS. The GameBoy Advance platform is well understood, with solid open source toolchains available for it, and the DS can play GBA games natively. Additionally, the homebrew toolchain for the DS itself is maturing rapidly. Plus, you can write stylus-driven games.

3. Consider a Sega Dreamcast. It's a defunct console, so there is now an abundance of technical information for it, which has resulted in a surprisingly mature and complete toolchain, so much so that independent unlicensed titles have been released as recently as 2007: Karous, Last Hope, Trigger Heart Exelica.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Is it illegal to mod your console? You own it; you should be free to bastardize it as you see fit. Yes, there is legislation like the DMCA that seeks to criminalize any circumvention of encryption, but modding a console for the sole purpose of running your own programs and the homebrew programs of others is not illegal.

The gray area arises because the mod chips, by virtue of circumventing signed binary checks, etc, permit consoles to more easily play pirated games.

My mistake, It's just when I last updated the FW on my PS3 I was reading through the terms and noticed the following:

Quote:
You may not lease, rent, sublicense, publish, modify, adapt, or translate any
portion of the System Software. To the fullest extent permitted by law,
you may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble any portion of the
System Software, or create any derivative works, or otherwise attempt to
create System Software source code from its object code. You may not (i)
use any unauthorized, illegal, counterfeit, or modified hardware or software
in connection with the System Software, including use of such tool to bypass,
disable, or circumvent any encryption, security, or authentication mechanism
for the PS3™ system; (ii) violate any laws, regulations or statutes, or rights
of SCE or third parties in connection with your access to or use of the System
Software, including the access, use, or distribution of any software or
hardware that you know or should have known to be infringing or pirated; (iii)
use any hardware or software to cause the System Software to accept or use
unauthorized, illegal, or pirated software or hardware; (iv) obtain the System
Software in any manner other than through SCE’s authorized distribution
methods; or (v) exploit the System Software in any manner other than to use it
in your PS3™ system in accordance with the accompanying documentation and with
authorized software or hardware, including use of the System Software to
design, develop, update, or distribute unauthorized software or hardware for
use in connection with the PS3™ system for any reason. Any violation of these
restrictions will void the PS3™ system’s warranty and affect your ability
to obtain warranty services and repair services from SCE.

Quote source

Obviousy, these terms only apply for the Playstation 3. Other systems will have their own restrictions, so I should of made it clear I was talking about the PS3 when saying it was illegal to make any modifications.

I'm not to sure of the other consoles terms.

EDIT: Actually, reading through it a second time, I noticed it doesn't actual say it's illegal, just that you will lose your warrenty and repair services :)

[Edited by - cNoob on May 27, 2008 12:29:13 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement