Design docs

Started by
15 comments, last by bgilman 15 years, 11 months ago
You being an audio guy, I would learn to program first. I think the most important ability for a designer to have, is to being able to implement ideas quickly. To me a design is just a hypothesis, which will either be proven, or disproven by a prototype. If you can't program, you will never get feedback on whether or not what you're designing is actually fun, and your design skills will never progress.

A hard truth, is that 80% of the ideas a designer comes up with, are going to be bad. I read a book 10 years ago, where Sid Meier stated that he had roughly 40 prototypes that he had written, collecting dust on his hard disk. That is what makes him a great designer, he has enough sense to test out his ideas, and only go with the ideas that actually turn out to be fun.

I would skip writing a really long design document, and instead put that energy into learning to program, or learning the scripting language of a game in a genre that you are passionate about. Then I would start with simple designs, implementing them, and seeing how they pan out.

Hope that helps.
Brian GilmanCredits as a Designer - Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 4:Modern WarfareGame Design Blog
Advertisement
Quote:I would skip writing a really long design document, and instead put that energy into learning to program, or learning the scripting language of a game in a genre that you are passionate about. Then I would start with simple designs, implementing them, and seeing how they pan out.

d00d, i just wantz to rite teh gamez!!! i haz gud ide4s sum1 shud prgrm 4 me!!!

But seriously...damn, I was afraid someone was going to say that (the 'learn to program' part, not the 1337).

Any suggestions as to what might be a good language or scripting language for me to start learning? I took an amazingly basic class in college that was based on Scheme, but I've had no other experience. I'm on a Mac (non-Intel, so no dual boot) at the moment, which is great for my music and sound, but I know may limit my programming options. Thoughts?

Again, thanks for all the feedback on my bonehead questions.
It depends strongly on how much interest you have in programming and what sort of games you wish to program. The best thing to learn would, in my opinion, be C++. It offers great power and flexibility, but some find it rather challenging to learn.
I would not recommend learning programming unless you have a few years to burn. It takes quite a while to become a decent programmer, and it is not difficult to design a game without programming experience.

To actually create a game generally takes a programmer, but if you focus on making money instead, you could probably hire a skilled programmer to produce a prototype for relatively little cost.
If you just want to learn programming for hacking prototypes and testing ideas, I would recommend Python. With Pygame for 2D and Soya for 3D stuff you can build prototypes really fast and the performance is good enough for testing purposes.

Python is easier to learn than C++ and has good modules for nearly everything.
A great program on the mac for organizing your ideas for a game is Notebook, by Circus Ponies. Watch the tutorials on their site though as they have a lot of shortcut keys and youll be swearing up and down and hate the program like I did (until I learned that there were shortcut keys, now I love it.)

Also the IDE I use on the mac is Netbeans. Some people like it (myself) some people dont (lots of people) but it supports a lot of different languages and runs pretty decent.

As for layout I do like Tom Slopers guides and use them quite frequently. Also I do searches online to see what others documents look like. They are all fairly standard but its still nice to see some examples.
Hmm, on a PPC Mac your options are somewhat limited. There's a version of Blitz Basic for the Mac, which will enable you to get something on the screen prety quickly. As an audio guy, you might want to try one of the audio languages, like ChucK, http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/ , which might be more interesting to you.

I would try to get an Intel PC of some sort, it will open up a lot of options in terms of the scripting languages you can learn.

Hope that helps.
Brian GilmanCredits as a Designer - Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 4:Modern WarfareGame Design Blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement