Game industry programming languages reference

Started by
1 comment, last by OldProgie2 15 years, 10 months ago
Hi everyone, I'm finishing an article about game development for my postgraduate degree and there I mentioned that C++ is the most used programming language in game industry but I can't find any reference to this. Does anyone know if there is an report, survey or any kind of reference that I could use in my article? Thank you.
Advertisement
I don't know of any report but for released games on consoles I've only ever used C or C++... ok that's sort of a lie as there's been some platform dependent assembler coding too and we've embedded scripting languages into some of the games however they we're all bound to C or C++ code.

In the "typical", and by that I mean "boxed product sold in shops", games industry you've got almost no choice but to use C/C++ since they're the only compilers supported on teh console platforms you're generally targetting.

If you're targetting Windows, Linux or OSX then you can use whatever you like and there are entire communities built around Pascal, Visual Basic, Python and other scripting languages.

Andy

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

Take a look at the games recruitment companies. I think you will find that most want programmers with c++ experience. I know it's not an ideal reference, but you could perhaps build it into your article by analysing each of the agencies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement