(Deprecated) Direct Show Questions

Started by
1 comment, last by Dreddnafious Maelstrom 15 years, 10 months ago
OK, Direct Show still exists so it's not entirely deprecated but it is no longer included in the current DX distros. I have an old project im researching again and a decent portion of it used Direct Show. Ive found the new Direct Show implementation in a "multimedia" distribution at microsoft.com but I was wondering if anyone knows of a good resource to relearn the toolset. The format at microsoft is a bear and the questions all tend towards television tuning and video capture. What I was using it for was rendering video to texture and integrating real audio/video with renderables. Any help would be appreciated. Forums, articles, books, tutorials, whatever.
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Advertisement
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms783323(VS.85).aspx
Quote:Previous versions of the DirectShow SDK shipped as part of the DirectX SDK. The last version of the DirectX SDK that included DirectShow was "DirectX 9.0 SDK Update - (February 2005) Extras." The DirectShow SDK was moved to the Windows SDK starting with the Microsoft® Windows Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK. To get the latest DirectShow SDK, download the latest version of the Windows SDK.
Does that help?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms783323(VS.85).aspx
Quote:Previous versions of the DirectShow SDK shipped as part of the DirectX SDK. The last version of the DirectX SDK that included DirectShow was "DirectX 9.0 SDK Update - (February 2005) Extras." The DirectShow SDK was moved to the Windows SDK starting with the Microsoft® Windows Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK. To get the latest DirectShow SDK, download the latest version of the Windows SDK.
Does that help?

Not really Promit, but thank you. When they shifted DShow to the windows sdk they also removed the dx team as a resource. Now it seems very little of what is discussed with direct show has to do with gaming and rendering and is primarily dominated by video editing concerns and tv integration. Since I'm no pro with DShow I was hoping there was still some type of support resource that still dealt from a game style point of view.

For example, Dshow can render streaming video to any dx texture. It can also capture a live feed from a web cam and use a texture to render the feed. While the old documentation dealt with these types of solutions the new stuff has a different focus.

If necessary I'll just bite the bullet and comb through it, but I was hoping someone already had and perhaps broken it down into NeHe style tutorials, or at least an analysis with real time rendering in mind.

**On edit- I guess as long as they didn't break the interface I could use the old documentation. It would be nice to see if someone has already tackled this, but I'll play around with it when I get home. Thanks for the help.
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement