I'm lost! How to approach 2D? Other questions too

Started by
4 comments, last by Escobar4Life 15 years, 10 months ago
I know theres not exact size and all but I would like to have an idea so I can start making the graphics. My goal is to create a 2D game at 1080p resolution (1280 x 1080). I don't have an idea what the sizes are going to be for buildings, characters, etc. I think it would be easier if I draw a map/tile and put them all together. Now that I thought about it, it makes sense. But to be honest I don't know how to approach the graphics at all at any resolution. That's something I need to learn. But don't know where I can learn about this. I want to make my graphics to look like sprites or very detailed like the upcoming HD remake of Street Fighter II. Obviously I can't make those kinds of graphics because I'm not an artist. I'm just talking about the quality. They are so vivid and sharp. I think I'm making this harder than it is for some reason but I'm not sure at the moment. The other visual style I want to approach is a top-down perspective. But again, I don't know the size or anything. Not sure if that's with the programming or the art. And one more thing, is it possible to scale the game down to lower resolutions? For example, 720p and 480p without many visual changes? I care about the audience and know everyone uses different displays. Hell, I may want to scale down to 1080p if I design my game on the most common resolution (which is usually higher than 'HD' resolutions). Maybe theres a book that talks about all this? I apologize for asking too many questions. I feed kind of terrible. [Edited by - Escobar4Life on June 24, 2008 4:43:07 PM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Escobar4Life
I know theres not exact size and all but I would like to have an idea so I can start making the graphics. My goal is to create a 2D game at 1080p resolution (1280 x 1080).

What?

HD is 1920×1080 or 1280×720

I recommend you program your game in this resolution, if your users want less resolution, it is easy to "down scale" it. You can do it without problems or graphical artifacts, for this you will use mipmaping probably. opengl and image libraries that load textures do mipmapping automatically, so dont care about this.

Create all your resources (textures, draws...) in this res.

By the way, take in account different aspect ratios: 16:9 16:10 and 4:3

And the most common res on PCs is not HD, in fact, is not common. If you are taking about consoles, then HD is common (and I should say it is mandatory)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
I know the sizes for HD resolutions. I meant theres no exact size for the actual sprites if you will. Like a building will be a different size than the human characters, etc.

Thanks for letting me know about the aspect ratios. I forgot.

I don't want to redo all the graphics for different resolutions. That's the problem. I want one resolution and downscale it to make things easier. Parts of the game will probably cropped though. I don't know.

Oh and I know resolutions for PC aren't HD. HD is just a gimmick. I'm not sure what the highest resolution or the most used resolution is for PC.

Anyways, when you program the game, you specify the resolution and work with that? Basically the area you're allowed to put graphics? Is this correct?
Quote:Anyways, when you program the game, you specify the resolution and work with that? Basically the area you're allowed to put graphics? Is this correct?

Resolution represents the number of visible pixels on screen, so yes you'd choose what resolution you want to work with first. The higher the resolution, the more pixels are displayed on screen, which means with high resolutions you can either have alot of small sprites, or a few highly detailed sprites.

Quote:I don't want to redo all the graphics for different resolutions. That's the problem. I want one resolution and downscale it to make things easier. Parts of the game will probably cropped though. I don't know.

The type of graphics you use can have a big influence on certain technical aspects like scaling, Vector Graphics for example can be scaled indefinitely without any loss of detail, unlike Raster Graphics. However it can be easier to work with Raster graphics in some ways than vector.

Quote:Oh and I know resolutions for PC aren't HD. HD is just a gimmick. I'm not sure what the highest resolution or the most used resolution is for PC.

Resolutions for PC depend on what monitors the person has, 30" monitors for example could go as high as 2560x1600. Generally resolutions for PC vary between 1280x1024 to 640x480, a good "middle ground" resolution to work with is 800x600.
Quote:Original post by Gyrthok
Generally resolutions for PC vary between 1280x1024 to 640x480, a good "middle ground" resolution to work with is 800x600.

I think it is a pretty safe assumption nowadays that if your game is running full screen that designing for at least 1024 x 768 is a safe bet. Websites need to be able to run at a bit lower res because they need to accomodate being windowed. Most people don't run non-casual games windowed.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Awesome! Thanks everyone! My fear of making 2D graphics is now gone. And thanks to you guys I have an idea for PC resolutions and now I'm going to use vector based graphics. :) Thanks again. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement