What System Control Version do you use in your games/projects?

Started by
43 comments, last by Kimmi 15 years, 10 months ago
I use Bazaar at home (easy to use, adding version control to the project takes less than minute etc.) and (Tortoise)SVN at work.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Quote:Original post by Driv3MeFar
Perforce at work, SVN with Tortoise SVN at home. I really prefer Perforce from a usability standpoint, although large enough check-ins can bring P4 to its knees.

But then, you shall avoid them. The changelist feature of P4 is best used with small checkins (because you can then easily merge the changelists to another branch). For example, we do this:
  • one bug correction --> one changelist
  • one feature addition --> one changelist
. It also ease code modification tracking.

Oh, we do the same thing. The problem can arise when "one feature addition" ends up being a rather large change, though arguably at this point you should be splitting it up into smaller tasks any way.

The place the large check-ins crop up most is when we are merging in code from other places. It can be nice to have this done in a single changelist (so for future reference we can track that on change XXXX we pulled the update to engine v. Y.YYY), which can easily be a few hundred files, and choke P4 for a few hours.
SVN with TortoiseSVN, home and work. Never had a single problem, though TortoiseSVN (like everything else) goes much slower when your local working copy is accessed via a Samba share on a virtual machine far away on the network.
Subversion at home and work, though at work we are switching to <a href="http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/>Mercurial
Subversion at home, Clearcase at work. And using Windows Clearcase is very! slow. But I heard Clearcase could be fast on a Unix like Solaris or HPUX.

With best regards
Kim
A complicate solution may indicate a not understood problem.

[twitter]KimKulling[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement