Programming MMO's

Started by
12 comments, last by Wan 15 years, 9 months ago
Hello everyone! I am interested in learning a programming language so that eventually I can become an MMO programmer. This is something I really want, however I'm curious what the most used programming language is for MMO's. I heard some MMO's are mostly built with Java, is this true? Jonkar [Edited by - Jonkar on July 4, 2008 7:11:48 AM]
Advertisement
MMOs are written in just about all languages, from C and C++ to ActionScript and PHP.
Some MMO's are built in HTML with variables.
MMOs use a multitude of technologies both client-side and server-side. Probably the most common client side tech would use C++ maybe with some lua or other scripting language.

Server side, you could be talking C++, SQL, PHP, PERL, Python or lots of other tech.

What language you use doesn't really matter. It's programming ability that counts. Generally if you learn one language it's quite easy to adapt to another. Same symantics, different syntax.

Basically concentrate on programming methodologies rather than get bogged down in endlaess language debates.
You can write an MMO (or indeed any game) in pretty much any language you like - though some may be harder than others. Java has been used, as has Python (Eve Online).

I wouldn't worry much about the language at this stage - programming an MMO is a monumental task, so concentrate on becoming a wizard with whichever language you choose, and preferably, learn 3-4 languages once you have the hang of the basics - it gives a lot more depth to your experience, and gives you more tools for problem solving.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

There's someone who wrote an MMORPG in Visual Basic 6, still doesn't mean it's a wise choice.

Learning a language with the explicit aim to eventually "become an MMO programmer" is a somewhat dumb thing to do. Programming languages are largely interchangeable, and to get into an MMO team, the best thing you could do is get a lot of experience in (game) programming under your belt.
Become a programmer first. And a typical programmer is familiar with a multitude of languages, so just pick one and start developing.

Your best chance of getting something close to a MMO game up and running on your own (or in a small team for that matter) is probably building something web based by using technologies like Flash or Java and to a lesser extent &#106avascript (Ajax). And it's probably wise to start with something turn based rather than real-time.
Quote:Original post by Jonkar
I am interested in learning a programming language so that eventually I can become an MMO programmer. This is something I really want, however I'm curious what the most used programming language is for MMO's.

Big/famous MMOs are almost exclusively done in C++. With some scripting thrown in, often Python.

Other MMOs, many of which are not MMOs in anything but a tenuous and literal translation of the abbreviation, can be written in all sorts of languages.

Quote:I heard some MMO's are mostly built with Java, is this true?

Given that there are many MMOs, if you include the free and indie ones, it's quite likely that at least 2 use Java, so the answer is technically 'yes'.
Quote:Original post by Kylotan

Quote:I heard some MMO's are mostly built with Java, is this true?

Given that there are many MMOs, if you include the free and indie ones, it's quite likely that at least 2 use Java, so the answer is technically 'yes'.

Well there's Runescape and Wurm, in which both the client and server are written in Java. I'd bet there's a lot of other MMOs with a Java server.
As shown by RuneScape's very recent High Definition updates, you can make some pretty decent-looking games under Java, too. Just like everyone else said, you should know how to program before you program MMOs, and C++ and the other languages are just tools to that end. Like any good mechanic, you should know about each tool and how to use it. Just pick a language and run with it a bit.

There are some decent articles on the GameDev Wiki covering languages, I think, also.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement