Effects on a bitmap

Started by
2 comments, last by manhaeve 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi there, I'd like to create a gaussian blur effect and a "wind" effect you can find in photoshop, but I dont know where to start. My goal is to let my mapmaker generate this grass, so I have to implement the effects into SDL. Here is the tutorial for Photoshop, can I get this to work in SDL? http://www.myinkblog.com/2008/06/11/create-an-awesome-grass-texture-in-photoshop/ Greets Pontus [Edited by - manhaeve on July 4, 2008 5:00:33 AM]
Microsoft: “You’ve got questions. We’ve got dancing paperclips.” – unknown
Advertisement
The answer I gave to VPK's post (Image processing) might be usefull for you as well. You apply a kernel with the proper values used for a gaussian blur for each pixel on the image. I think the wind effect is applied in the same way, but with other values in that kernel (and depending on the wind direction you like to use)

I don't know the exact values for both filters, but I'm sure you can find them on the internet if you look for "guassian blur kernel". Sometimes you can see these values in your painting program, or in programs like Matlab (with image processing package installed).

I don't know if you want to apply these effects on a static image, or realtime when rendering. In case you want to do it realtime, things get more difficult (because filtering is a relative heavy task). The principles stay the same, but people often use tricks and workaround to achieve the effects in a faster way.

Greetings,
Rick
Take a look at this article.
Thanks guys, I'll look into it :D
Microsoft: “You’ve got questions. We’ve got dancing paperclips.” – unknown

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement