Software IP, Idea and Copyright issues

Started by
15 comments, last by Daniel Protopopov 15 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by stonemetal
....it is impossible for it to be a Work For Hire situation where he could use copyright against you. You own copyright on anything you wrote.

Sadly that won't stop him taking the OP to court and costing the OP a lot of money.

Quote:Original post by Daniel Protopopov
.....however he seems too stubborn and wants everything to go as he says - or else it's the court ;)

Sounds like the guy doesn't know the law and is stubborn which is a pretty dangerous combination.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Obscure
Quote:Original post by stonemetal
....it is impossible for it to be a Work For Hire situation where he could use copyright against you. You own copyright on anything you wrote.

Sadly that won't stop him taking the OP to court and costing the OP a lot of money.

.....however he seems too stubborn and wants everything to go as he says - or else it's the court ;)

Sounds like the guy doesn't know the law and is stubborn which is a pretty dangerous combination.

That and me = idiot, OP is not US based. So what I said was entirely irrelevant.

I will be arranging another consultation with a lawyer before actually signing anything to understand all bits and pieces, but wanted to know your opinion prior.

Thank you.

I'm going to be very frank about this-- once you get the opinion of an attorney, most of the opinions you find here will be moot, including mine. That being said, this is general education and does not constitute legal advice:

1) Try to maintain a professional relationship with Y. If you can't compromise enough to even hammer out a basic set of terms for your deal, this probably isn't the type of business relationship you want to enter into. That being said, your lawyer will probably inform you that you are entitled to reasonable compensation for the work you performed for Y. There are several equitable remedies that you and your lawyer may want to consider, but bear in mind that legal action tends to destroy professional relationships. Also remember that lawsuits are financially, psychologically, and mentally draining. If you decide that you can't work things out with Y, do make an effort to get paid for your work.

2) As far as ownership goes-- Work for hire application is relatively international in scope, with some exceptions re: moral rights. Regardless, whether your work is defined as a work for hire is something that only becomes an issue when you're putting together the terms of your agreement or when you're in court.

3) Publishers who screw over developers by failing to adequately distribute and promote the product do not last long. If you aren't confident in this publisher's ability to do it's job, hammer out rights ownership and part ways. If you can't have faith in your publisher you have no business doing business with it. An agreement is only worth the paper it's written on if the parties don't trust one another to perform on the deal. As Tom mentioned, it isn't uncommon for your publisher to own exclusive reproduction/distribution rights for the territory they're distributing to.

4) I can't push this enough-- you need to feel comfortable with the people you're doing business with. That being said, your written agreement should contain reps and warranties for both parties. There is also an implied duty of good faith and fair dealing in every agreement. If you're really concerned, see if you can spell out exactly what you expect from your publisher in the agreement. Non-performance constitutes a breach.
~Mona Ibrahim
Senior associate @ IELawgroup (we are all about games) Interactive Entertainment Law Group
Quote:Original post by madelelawonce you get the opinion of an attorney, most of the opinions you find here will be moot, including mine. That being said, this is general education and does not constitute legal advice

Shouldn't you be cramming for your bar exam rather than spending time on forums? I hear it's a VERY tough exam! (^_~)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Executive Summary:

Talk to your lawyer. NOW. This is what lawyers are for. Yes, they're expensive, but that's the price of doing business.

Also, for any neophytes reading this thread, remember this axiom: "A verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on." Get it in WRITING.

Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
Quote:Original post by madelelawonce you get the opinion of an attorney, most of the opinions you find here will be moot, including mine. That being said, this is general education and does not constitute legal advice

Shouldn't you be cramming for your bar exam rather than spending time on forums? I hear it's a VERY tough exam! (^_~)

><

Who's to say I didn't turn this into a contract remedies essay, huh? Also, who told on me?

Kind of going crazy. thanks for checking. :)
~Mona Ibrahim
Senior associate @ IELawgroup (we are all about games) Interactive Entertainment Law Group
To say that he's the publisher is an overestimation - he's a business coach who thinks that he can spread the product via means of his contacts in various places, including overseas.
As far as the thing goes - I ain't really worried about getting paid for the project as I can simply have it in my portfolio to show to potential employers - no sale is it intended here, don't worry ;)
I just don't want to let this slip between my fingers - since this is my very first dealing with commercializing a software product - and let it float away on the waves of time in hope to get something.

Thanks to all for your advice, I shall consider in my next discussion with Person Y.
"Don't try. Do it now."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement