Which of the DirectX SDK's do i download

Started by
12 comments, last by Buckeye 15 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
The SDK is easy to remove, but you can't downgrade DirectX. So if you have the latest SDK and you then uninstalled it and tried to install the December 2004, the latest DirectX runtimes will remain on your computer. Not that that's a bad thing, mind - the older SDK would still work fine with the newer runtimes since DirectX is backwards compatible.

Allow me to get up on my soapbox and underline this reply. This backwards compatibility means you get to pick your SDK version now and can happily develop with it for years, meaning you don't have to upgrade to newer versions. It's probably painfully obvious, but I used to constantly update my SDK and rework my code when I just got started, so this might save you some aggravation [smile]
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Advertisement
What was the exact error? That doesn't sound like a SDK problem at all, more a problem with your resource file.
Ive never used DirectX or anything similar to it before this is my first time (complete beginner!)

what i really need is some clear tutorials that will teach me how to make a simple sound play once and then stop with each part of the tutorial and the function used gven a brief explanation on whats going on.

Usually tutorials look like this:

You must first apply the JIBJABJUB( LPSTRC ch , BLA bla ) function before you can do such and such

code -
//Ton of code which i have completely no idea what any of its doing!
//.........
code -

EDIT: @evil steve - Yes that was the error and yes there is something wrong with my resource.h file

[resource.h code]
#define SND_BOUNCE 101

[resource.rc code]
#include "resource.h"
SND_BOUNCE WAV "bounce.wav"
Describe what it is you're trying to do and maybe we can help out.

However, if you're familiar with C and C++ then think about your code
#define SND_BOUNCE 101SND_BOUNCE WAV "bounce.wav"

That's the equivalent of
101 WAV "bounce.wav"

and your compiler doesn't know what to do with it.

EDIT: if you're getting an "unexpected EOF," it sounds like you have "precompiled headers" turned on and don't include "stdafx.h" in your CPP file.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement