Playstation 3, is it hopeless?

Started by
83 comments, last by eedok 15 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Daaark
Quote:Original post by Luctus
The PS3 actually looks to be doing quite well, if sales are anything to go by at least. It's trend seems to be following that off the PS2 quite closely, which was anything but a failure.
They are third place.

Wii is king.
XBox360 is second.
PS3 is third.
Yes that's what it look like right now, but that doesn't mean that the PS3 is doing bad.

What I was saying was that the PS3 has a high rate of sales, which happens to quite closely follow that of the PS2, and that it will likely end up with a very high number of sold units if the trend holds up.
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Daaark
The PS3 actually looks to be doing quite well, if sales are anything to go by at least. It's trend seems to be following that off the PS2 quite closely, which was anything but a failure.
They are third place.

Wii is king.
XBox360 is second.
PS3 is third.
Yes that's what it look like right now, but that doesn't mean that the PS3 is doing bad.

What I was saying was that the PS3 has a high rate of sales, which happens to quite closely follow that of the PS2, and that it will likely end up with a very high number of sold units if the trend holds up.

That website is strangely entertaining. What is it about comparing console stats that is so compelling? [smile]

That chart shows that the PS3 is still selling strong, but it's hard to know what's going to happen in the future. It is matching the sales rate of the PS2 for now, but the market situation has changed. The PS2 was competing against the N64 and the Dreamcast which were being beaten by the original Playstation, and the Playstation brand trounced the competition. This time round the PS3 may be roughly matching the Xbox 360 but is being soundly beaten by the Wii which is still selling strong. I'm not sure what the PS3's planned future is, but if they don't do something soon their sales might plateau.
Frankly i don't get the "i chose this over this" argument. Just go where the game you like are, end of story. It seems the entirety of the Internets have been swept up in the console hype.
If you don't like the console for whatever reason, don't buy it and move on.
As for the ps3, it has its faults (as does the wii and 360), and frankly it really is not doing that bad considering its release date and starting price. Though the starting price is not that bad considering it doubles as a bluray player, which in essence sells separately for near the same price as the ps3 by itself
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
I think the PS3 has 'won' simply because it is likely one of the main factors to Blu-Ray winning. Even if the console itself fails, it has done a lot of good for Sony.

I think it will pick up, but there is still the issue for Sony losing so much on the console itself.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
I don't think it's hopeless, but I disagree (to an extent) of some of the posts above.

The price. Yes, and no. Taking into account inflation, the PS3 wasn't that much over the typical console starting price. For what it included, it was severly underpriced. But I'm sorry Blu-Ray fans, the Blu-Ray drive killed the price for the average person for a feature that still most people don't really care about. (Also, I disagree with Blu-Ray winning the high def wars. Blu-Ray didn't win yet, rather HD-DVD lost. Just because HD-DVD lost, doesn't mean it's a 2 horse race and you won. I still see Downloadable Content killing off Blu-Ray.) Sony decided to do what other consoles did and have the PS3 be a loss leader. Loss leaders, however, tend to work only when you can make the money back through the enormously overpriced games. And unfortunately, with gaming becoming ever more complex, fewer games were coming out, and fewer games means fewer tastes are being catered too, meaning fewer people will buy the games.

The lack of hardware in the new generation consoles. Does it really matter too much? How many PS1 games do you still play on your PS2? (I can't really go into the PS2 games on PS3 because the PS2 still is selling). How many older games do you really play? Backwards compatibility tends to work when you want to sell a console that has few games. And at the same time, it only really works during a transitionary period. Once you convert to the next gen, backwards compatibility falls to buying an old console off of EBay if you really want to play it. And even those of us who own a 60 GB Emotion Engine capable PS3, there still are issues. There is lag in the controller. I've tried playing DDR and getting grades of C & D, and when I move to the PS2, I'm gettings S+. And then you have instances where the controller literally seems to drop connection every few minutes. Not an entirely good appraoch if you're playing a fast paced game that won't let up.

But overall I'm very hesitent about picking a winner this gen. Well, I'd honestly call the winner the DS, but out of the 3 major consoles, what do you really have?

Very few exclusives. Nintendo has a few exclusives such as Mario and Zelda that people will still buy. XBox has Halo. Sony has ... (God of War, and ???) Regardless, most major games are on all the consoles, so why buy another console if your current one plays the game you want.

Quality control issues. I'm on my second PS3 (Blu-Ray Diode died). I'm on my 4th XBox 360. These are not systems which lived past their prime. I've yet to get a 360 which can even survive a year with maybe 2-3 hours at most per week being played.

Gimmicky. Motion sense? I know a ton of people who own a Wii. I know a decent amount of people who own a 360 and only a few people who own a PS3. If you take into account actually using the system though, honestly, I don't know many people who use the Wii. I'd say out of the 30 people I know with Wii's, maybe 2 actually use the Wii more than an hour per month.
Quote:Original post by boolean
C) The games it has, like super ultra exclusive Final Fantasy 13, are going to the 360 as of today anyway and in the case of EA, run better on the 360.

That makes me sad. I support their decision in making the game more available to consumers, but in my experience, cross-platform games don't reach their full potential. Extra time and resources are required for making a game compatible with several platforms, and along the same lines, the Xbox 360 may have limitations over the PlayStation 3 in terms of power under the hood*. This will certainly hold the game back from what it can truly become because of the fact that it will be the same game on both consoles.

I'd rather be positive, however. I like every Square-Enix game that I own, and their employees are fully capable of making an incredible product, regardless of the platform(s) it is released on. Plus, having a wider audience will bolster sales, especially because the Xbox 360 doesn't have many RPGs available, and the more money that Square-Enix makes and the longer they stay in business, the happier I am. I hope they continue to make Final Fantasies after I'm dead.

*On the other hand, however, a game with a wider audience will probably receive more funding, but throwing money at the game isn't necessarily a remedy for the issue.
--------------------Enigmatic Coding
Well I think there is a possibility of the ps3 doing better, but it is definitly not going to go past the wii. I believe that sony should learn from this do the bear minimum to keep the ps3 afloat and focus on their next consol. If they can learn from this and not make the same mistakes again then they have a shot at the next next gen consol.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exercise, eat right and be the best you can be!Translation: Play video games for finger streangth and eat lots of hot pockets to be at top programming efficiency.
Quote:Original post by anothrguitarist
That makes me sad. I support their decision in making the game more available to consumers, but in my experience, cross-platform games don't reach their full potential. Extra time and resources are required for making a game compatible with several platforms, and along the same lines, the Xbox 360 may have limitations over the PlayStation 3 in terms of power under the hood*.

Pretty much every final fantasy 7+ has also been released for the PC. If you can port it to the PC, porting it to the 360 should be easy.

The real trick is getting good performance out of different architectures. Sony's bizarre architecture raised the barrier to easy ports in the PS2 generation...but that may be backfiring now that the PS3 is not the dominant console.
Personally, I use the backwards compatibility on my PS2, and I was planning on using it on the PS3 when it was still a real option. Why not? I don't stop watching my favorite ten year old DVDs, why should I ditch my favorite old games?
Quote:Original post by NytegardHow many PS1 games do you still play on your PS2? (I can't really go into the PS2 games on PS3 because the PS2 still is selling). How many older games do you really play?

I play heaps of older games (not PS1 as I didn't own that system), but you're asking the wrong audience here. We're some of the hardest of the hardcore at GDNet, and our playing habits are completely atypical. I know my play habits are bizarre; I've occasionally bought and played games that I knew in advance I wouldn't enjoy, purely because I wanted to see how they implemented one tiny gameplay feature. And I doubt I'm alone. That's why you've got to take any conclusions drawn about game playing habits and preferences from polling people on this site with a massive amount of salt.

Quote:Very few exclusives. Nintendo has a few exclusives such as Mario and Zelda that people will still buy.
And Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Age and a slew of other casual titles. That's where the Wii is making a killing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement