Playstation 3, is it hopeless?

Started by
83 comments, last by eedok 15 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Nytegard
This is similar though to the Wii selling. Many of those games that are bought on the Wii such as Wii Fit fall into the same category as the Wii itself. From my own personal experience, I know a lot of people who bought Wii Fit, yet none of them use it. I can't explain it, and maybe I just have the wrong set of friends and acquitances, but they buy the games yet never play them at all.

As far as casual titles, I honestly feel the XBox 360 is the console with the most casual titles. The Wii is actually a fairly hardcore system imho, outside a few titles such as Wii Play, Wii Fit, and Wii Sports.

I also thought Brain Age was on the DS, and as I posted earlier, I believe the DS is the real winner this generation. Financially, the Wii is doing excellent now, but I personally feel the Wii is a fad, and won't last forever. Sooner or later you need games if you want to sell a system. The good news is, that unlike the PS3, it was profitable from the start. But while the Wii might be a success, without the games behind it, Nintendo's next gen might fail (similar to the GameCube after a gameless N64).

Brain Age was originally on the DS, but I'm sure I've seen versions or similar titles in the pile of games my brother has for his Wii. There's a bunch of those types of games out at the moment.

I don't know what casual titles are out for the Xbox 360, but the Wii is much more of a casual console due to its lower price point and unique controllers. I know a few family members who've never bothered with consoles before get interested in the Wii. I don't know how long their interest will be piqued and I doubt they'll buy many titles, but since Nintendo makes a profit with every sale it's all good for them.

I'm also unsure as to how many games people in general buy for consoles. I'm sure I've read stats that suggest the average is somewhere between six and eight per console, which is pretty low compared to the number of games on my shelf.

As for the Wii being a fad, I've heard this throughout the entire life of the console thus far, but the sales figures aren't supporting this. The sale rate on that VGChartz site suggests it's been selling pretty constant at a high rate. It's not as if Ninentdo haven't been releasing new widgets for their console now and again to attract interest, such as Wii Fit.

On a slightly unrelated note:
Quote:Original post by boolean
C) The games it has, like super ultra exclusive Final Fantasy 13, are going to the 360 as of today anyway and in the case of EA, run better on the 360.

I checked out the comments on that story and, bloody hell, I'm never using the term "fanboy" lightly again. There's a whole level of madness in console fandom that I never knew existed.

Advertisement
is the ps3 actually doing so bad in the last 6 months?, (yes its first year was a disaster)
yes sure it hasnt done numbers (yet) like the ps2/ps1/wii but its still early days

A/in europe the ps3 has overtaken the xbox360 in sales, despite the xbox360 launching 1.5 years earlier
B/ in asia the ps3 has overtaken the xbox360
C/ sofar this year according to NPD in the US the ps3 has outsold the xbox360

true both consoles are getting their asses spanked by the wii, but I really wont be surprised in 2012 (or whenever the next ones come out) the ps3/wii both be sitting on the 100million mark, the xbox360 will be 50million
I can't check that sales site since the net here blocks that site, but from what I read the first 3 months of 2008 had PS3 outselling the 360 (I don't know how the year continued). I don't think the Playstation 3 is failing badly at all. Not to be a Sony fanboy, but how many more cases of red-ring broken Xboxes have you heard of that weren't covered under warranty? It may be a small percentage but I'll be some part of MS sales was rebuys which more than covers the price of a single PS3.

With that said, I am somewhat of a Sony fanboy. I prefer the console and my only other thought was to buy a 360 for the titles you can only get on that system. Almost every night myself and my friend (who is a devoted 360 owner) debate between 'Why I think PS3 is better' and why 'He thinks the 360 is better'. It's going to come down to system preference initially and since none of the systems have really alienated their core gamers, they're all going to have devoted followers.

I'm one of the guys who see's the Wii as a fad so (not to sound harsh) but I really don't see it holding out as well as everyone makes it seem. Just about everyone I know has a Wii and none of them play them anymore (granted they range from age 12-25) but I don't see their parents sitting around playing them either. I've probably seen more people playing the DS than the Wii while in the presence of both systems. Last year one of the major new reveals for Nintendo was Wii Fit, and they played the hype game for that thing up until the day it was released. Now I don't know the sales figures, but almost everyone I've heard from said they bought it, played it a few times, and now it sits around. I think it's great Nintendo is targetting the 'casual' audience, but the casual audience isn't going to stick around and play Wii every day like a hardcore gamer will for a system dedicated to the hardcore gamers.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
I don't know what casual titles are out for the Xbox 360, but the Wii is much more of a casual console due to its lower price point and unique controllers. I know a few family members who've never bothered with consoles before get interested in the Wii. I don't know how long their interest will be piqued and I doubt they'll buy many titles, but since Nintendo makes a profit with every sale it's all good for them.

I'm also unsure as to how many games people in general buy for consoles. I'm sure I've read stats that suggest the average is somewhere between six and eight per console, which is pretty low compared to the number of games on my shelf.

As for the Wii being a fad, I've heard this throughout the entire life of the console thus far, but the sales figures aren't supporting this. The sale rate on that VGChartz site suggests it's been selling pretty constant at a high rate. It's not as if Ninentdo haven't been releasing new widgets for their console now and again to attract interest, such as Wii Fit.

OK, I don't have much time due to having other things to do (work), but...

I honestly don't see the Wii as a casual console. It's a pretty hardcore console dressed in casual sheep clothing. Honestly, the XBox 360 is much more casual imo with XBox Live Arcade games. Maybe the WiiWare is changing this. I really don't know as my Wii has been stored away for over a year.

And by fad, just because it's still selling well, doesn't mean it isn't one. Sure, it's been a couple years. I'm just saying who really buys it and plays it? Nintendo is a genious in terms of marketing, as from what I've seen, they've managed to sell lots of products nobody uses, and sooner or later, people are going to wake up and stop supporting them unless they turn out games people actually play (and you can only pump out so many Mario and Zelda titles).

Quote:
Not to be a Sony fanboy, but how many more cases of red-ring broken Xboxes have you heard of that weren't covered under warranty? It may be a small percentage but I'll be some part of MS sales was rebuys which more than covers the price of a single PS3.

OK, this pisses me off. Not you, but MS. I'm on my 4th XBox. I've only had 1 RRoD. 3 Disc drives died though. And I've already had to spend $200+ fixing them. Fortunately, the RRoD is covered under an extended warrenty, but if your system dies for any other reason (and mind you, the disc drive is a very big reason for returns), you have the standard one year warrenty. And I guess I'm unlucky, because it's always like 3 days after the warrenty expires that my disc drive fails. Regardless, neither the Wii nor PS3 have anywhere close to the failure rate of the 360. Although I'm not sure if MS considers my new replaced systems sales (although it wouldn't surprise me).
Quote:Why is (according to Microsoft and many other people) the Playstation 3 failing so badly.
Probably because Microsoft is a competitor and it's in their interests to convince people that the PS3 is a failure.
I honestly don't see the Wii as a casual console. It's a pretty hardcore console dressed in casual sheep clothing.
Okay...what does that mean exactly?

PS3 sales have been picking up this year, although I'm still fairly baffled as to why. 360 and PS3 are basically neck and neck in current sales rates. I don't see any particularly compelling reason for that to change any time soon, so it's pretty hard to sanely claim that the PS3 is failing...
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:
Not to be a Sony fanboy, but how many more cases of red-ring broken Xboxes have you heard of that weren't covered under warranty? It may be a small percentage but I'll be some part of MS sales was rebuys which more than covers the price of a single PS3.

OK, this pisses me off. Not you, but MS. I'm on my 4th XBox. I've only had 1 RRoD. 3 Disc drives died though. And I've already had to spend $200+ fixing them. Fortunately, the RRoD is covered under an extended warrenty, but if your system dies for any other reason (and mind you, the disc drive is a very big reason for returns), you have the standard one year warrenty. And I guess I'm unlucky, because it's always like 3 days after the warrenty expires that my disc drive fails. Regardless, neither the Wii nor PS3 have anywhere close to the failure rate of the 360. Although I'm not sure if MS considers my new replaced systems sales (although it wouldn't surprise me).

I thought you were going to uber-flame me and I was scared there for a second :p My friends launch console amazingly lasted this long but the disc drive can't read a lot of discs. I think all of the companies have had relatively 'un-healthy' responsiveness for broken consoles, 360 just seems to have a larger problem rate.

Don't worry, we're all unlucky. I bought my PS3 for the $600 or whatever it cost initially and had a 30 day return policy, 31 days later there was a price drop. Literally the final return day was a Sunday and Monday they announced the price drop (I think that was the week of E3 last year).

After I posted that I wasn't sure about counting repairs as sales, but I was wondering if they factor in returned/busted consoles in that number. It's a good question for any company that has returns, I bet all companies count a sale as a sale no matter if the console is brought back or not.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

100% backwards compatibility with PS2 on PS3? No? Pass.

I typically like Sony products (Have a TV, PSP, PS2)-- but when they dropped the hardware emotion engine in the PS3, they lost me as a customer.
This is similar though to the Wii selling. Many of those games that are bought on the Wii such as Wii Fit fall into the same category as the Wii itself. From my own personal experience, I know a lot of people who bought Wii Fit, yet none of them use it. I can't explain it, and maybe I just have the wrong set of friends and acquitances, but they buy the games yet never play them at all.
I see that too and I find it very strange.

It's like the Wii is a some kind of status thing. I see people buy them and then play with them for a day and never touch the thing. They just want to say that they own one. Like a lot of devices that are shiny, new, and in limited supply, everyone ran out to buy one.

The Wii in this house almost never gets touched. It seems like 300$ was spent to play River City Ransom for a few hours. [lol]

Mario Kart Wii was fun for a few days, but I have no urge to ever play it again.
The one thing I noticed is there's a lot of Wii owners who look at Nintendo and pretty much only Nintendo for games, then complain because there's no good games for the Wii.

The conversations with them usually go like, so what'd you think of No More Heroes, and they go no more what? How about Lostwinds? Lost what?
Quote:Original post by Daaark
I see that too and I find it very strange.

It's like the Wii is a some kind of status thing. I see people buy them and then play with them for a day and never touch the thing. They just want to say that they own one. Like a lot of devices that are shiny, new, and in limited supply, everyone ran out to buy one.

The Wii in this house almost never gets touched. It seems like 300$ was spent to play River City Ransom for a few hours. [lol]

Mario Kart Wii was fun for a few days, but I have no urge to ever play it again.

Recently I just bought a Wii from a friend who had an extra one. I'm looking forward to playing it, especially for Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, Dragon Quest, Wii Play/Sports, etc. And I have a wife to play it with, so I'm sure Wii will last for a while, and actually be used! I guess it depends on each person's preferences.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement