Character Profession: Artist

Started by
0 comments, last by sunandshadow 15 years, 9 months ago
I'm trying to think of what all should be included in a typical RPG that would allow characters to try their hand at creating art not too unlike the concept of a character crafting a piece of equipment. It'd be pretty obvious that the character should have the brushes, pigments, canvas or whatever medium they'd opt for before work begins... but what next? Sit the character down in front of a tree and click "paint"? Sure that could work and a minute or two later you have a painting added to your inventory. But is it art? Assuming that the difference between "art" and "just a painting" is the inspiration, how would you go about getting the "inspiration" ingredient into the mix of equipment needed to begin your painting?
Advertisement
They wouldn't make real art and sell it to other players? GaiaOnline for example has a thriving community of players who sell actual art to other players for game gold. I believe SecondLife does also. You could also build it into the game mechanics more if players had the ability to recolor game clothing house furnishings, or to upload sprites or skins useable as vanity pets.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement