Making sound amaizing

Started by
7 comments, last by JasRonq 15 years, 9 months ago
So I'm sitting here with Reason 3 open and I feel small and pathetic in the face of all my favorite music. The sounds I hear are brilliant and I have no idea how to come close to it. I need some advice on how to make amazing sounds to build my music with. (I only have the sound packs that came with Reason, nothing new though I am looking for more.) How do you make beautiful, resonant sound and atmosphere?
Advertisement
one thing to remember, sound-wise, is that professional cds are compressed and mastered. part of mastering includes adding brilliant harmonics to the sound that wasnt there before. also, alot of the texture comes from layered sounds. try planning the way you want the part to sound, then keep tweaking the sounds until its close to the sound in your head. that is good practice for drawing a link between your creativity and the computer.
ever since i was 5, i have always loved the marriage between image and music.
Quote:Original post by JasRonq
How do you make beautiful, resonant sound and atmosphere?

A slightly more flippant response than the previous one: panning, reverb, compression.

Of course, if you're asking about Reason-specific stuff, I have no idea.

Are you asking about creating sounds (synthesis) or writing music?

Have you read these:

http://www.propellerheads.se/substance/discovering-reason/

read..play..read..play..play..read

www.t00nz.net
Im asking about creating sounds to use in the music. I hear an amazing song, and even if I have a melody going im ok with, it sounds a pit like a kid on a toy organ or some such. Reason specific would be good, but I am really asking for general help. I assume that Reason is a good enough program to implement just about any advice you guys can offer. BTW, I thought compression was just to help manage clipping and distortion? Does it do anything to improve sound otherwise, or just help remove some of the bad spots?
Compression as a whole can be used to prevent clipping, but if used right it can also add lots of "punch" to the front end sound of drums and bass.
_____________________Brian Timmons, ComposerMy Music
If I may add a couple other suggestions...

Definitely what others have said about learning and practicing (most of all), layering sounds, and adding effects.

In terms of effects though, reverb for instance is GREAT for adding atmosphere, but can be easily overused. Compression is useful but highly-overrated/overused IMO. Panning is good.

Another thing to think about is volume and your mix of the voices. And the volume of your track. If you play on a "toy organ", usually all the notes you play will have the exact same loudness. But if you play on a "real piano", the harder and softer you press the keys changes the dynamics of the piano sound coming out.

Now it's a pain in Reason if you don't have it hooked up to a midi keyboard (like me...), but if you add expression by way of changing the volume each note is played (and I don't just mean randomly), it can add quite a lot to your music.

Back to the main point about learning (reading) and practicing... nothing will help you more. And more important than what effects or processes others tell you to do is to get the sound YOU are looking for.

Cheers, and have fun!
-Scott
I just saw this on AudioTuts:

http://audiotuts.com/resources/36-reason-tutorials-refills-applications-and-communities/

--- if you're into Reason.

That's also a great site for tutorials. They have some mastering and mixing tuts that are pretty good.

I also have the same problem. My songs never sound big or punchy enough compared to a lot of soundtracks and mainstream music.
My first step would be to learn how to use effects such as compression, chorus, EQ, creative panning, and reverb.
Layering is also important, as others have mentioned. If you look at mainstream music (especially electronic and alternative stuff) there can 5-10 different sounds and instruments playing at the same time, all tuned and affected to fit together to create a killer sound.
Practice, practice, practice.
Thank you for all the advice guys. It seems from what I'm hearing that there are an awful lot of small things that add to the sound to make it great. I'm busy now reading through those links.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement