Communism creeping into our future?

Started by
311 comments, last by Zahlman 15 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by GameDev Doctor
This "argument" doesnt work because you can help out more the more money you have. Someone making 100,000 would be giving a lot more just through taxes than a homeless person giving everything away.

Fine. Make your 100,000, pay your taxes, and give what is left to private charities. Just don't tell people who believe the government to be an ineffective tool of wealth redistribution that their "selfishness" sentences other people to death, all the while sipping on your cup of Starbucks.
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Silvermyst
This "argument" doesnt work because you can help out more the more money you have. Someone making 100,000 would be giving a lot more just through taxes than a homeless person giving everything away.

Fine. Make your 100,000, pay your taxes, and give what is left to private charities. Just don't tell people who believe the government to be an ineffective tool of wealth redistribution that their "selfishness" sentences other people to death, all the while sipping on your cup of Starbucks.

Why not? Why can't I drink Starbucks and "tell people who believe the government to be an ineffective tool of wealth redistribution that their "selfishness" sentences other people to death"? If I think that's true why should I keep quiet? If I've made my money, paid my taxes and gave what was left to charity, I ought to be able to say anything to anybody in absolute good conscience. Why is it that "people who believe the government to be an ineffective tool of wealth redistribution" are never told to keep their mouths shut? How is it that this opinion gives those that hold it some kind of free pass? How did miserliness become sacrosanct?

Washington's Lords of Creation

Quote:
It is just this: Fantastic misgovernment of the kind we have seen is not an accident, nor is it the work of a few bad individuals. It is the consequence of triumph by a particular philosophy of government, by a movement that understands the liberal state as a perversion and considers the market the ideal nexus of human society. This movement is friendly to industry not just by force of campaign contributions but by conviction; it believes in entrepreneurship not merely in commerce but in politics; and the inevitable results of its ascendance are, first, the capture of the state by business and, second, all that follows: incompetence, graft, and all the other wretched flotsam that we've come to expect from Washington.
But put conservatism in charge of the state, and it behaves very differently. Now the "values" that rightist politicians eulogize on the stump disappear, and in their place we can discern an entirely different set of priorities -- priorities that reveal more about the unchanging historical essence of American conservatism than do its fleeting campaigns against gay marriage or secular humanism. The conservatism that speaks to us through its actions in Washington is institutionally opposed to those baseline good intentions we learned about in elementary school.

Its leaders laugh off the idea of the public interest as airy-fairy nonsense; they caution against bringing top-notch talent into government service; they declare war on public workers. They have made a cult of outsourcing and privatizing, they have wrecked established federal operations because they disagree with them, and they have deliberately piled up an Everest of debt in order to force the government into crisis. The ruination they have wrought has been thorough; it has been a professional job. Repairing it will require years of political action.
Yes, today's conservatives have disgraced themselves, but they have not strayed from the teaching of their forefathers or the great ideas of their movement. When conservatives appoint the opponents of government agencies to head those government agencies; when they auction their official services to the purveyor of the most lavish "golf weekend"; when they mulct millions from groups with business before Congress; when they dynamite the Treasury and sabotage the regulatory process and force government shutdowns -- in short, when they treat government with contempt -- they are running true to form. They have not done these awful things because they are bad conservatives; they have done them because they are good conservatives, because these unsavory deeds follow naturally from the core doctrines of the conservative tradition.

And, yes, there has been greed involved in the effort -- a great deal of greed. Every tax cut, every cleverly engineered regulatory snafu saves industry millions and perhaps even billions of dollars, and so naturally securing those tax cuts and engineering those snafus has become a booming business here in Washington. Conservative rule has made the capital region rich, a showplace of the new plutocratic order. But this greed cannot be dismissed as some personal failing of lobbyist or congressman, some badness-of-apple that can be easily contained. Conservatism, as we know it, is a movement that is about greed, about the "virtue of selfishness" when it acts in the marketplace. In rightwing Washington, you can be a man of principle and a boodler at the same time.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

Fine. Make your 100,000, pay your taxes, and give what is left to private charities. Just don't tell people who believe the government to be an ineffective tool of wealth redistribution that their "selfishness" sentences other people to death, LIBERALS DRINK STARBUCKS LOL

I don't really think too much of our taxes should go to helping individuals outside the country either, at least when we have as many troubles of our own as we do now. However, (back to the main topic), helping sick people hardly qualifies as wealth redistribution.
I mean, why would you get your medical advice anywhere else?

Fine. Make your 100,000, pay your taxes, and give what is left to private charities. Just don't tell people who believe the government to be an ineffective tool of wealth redistribution that their "selfishness" sentences other people to death, LIBERALS DRINK STARBUCKS LOL

I don't really think too much of our taxes should go to helping individuals outside the country either, at least when we have as many troubles of our own as we do now. However, (back to the main topic), helping sick people hardly qualifies as wealth redistribution.

Yes it does, necessarily. I'm saying this purely objectively.
Quote:Original post by LessBread
If I've made my money, paid my taxes and gave what was left to charity, I ought to be able to say anything to anybody in absolute good conscience.

Under those circumstances, sure.
Quote:Why is it that "people who believe the government to be an ineffective tool of wealth redistribution" are neverconstantly told to keep their mouths shut?

Fixed.
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
Quote:Original post by mhamlin

Objectively? Are you certain you're not confusing wealth redistribution with income redistribution? It seems to me that to the extent that health can be thought of as wealth, not helping sick people constitutes wealth redistribution. Taxes appropriated for helping sick people qualify as income redistribution.

// edit - Thinking more about this, how objective is it to talk about income or wealth redistribution in the first place? Taxes are collected by government and then spent as it sees fit. It seems that because the money passes through the government the flow constitutes redistribution. If a customer at a fast food restaurant buys a chicken sandwich, some of that money will end up in the pocket of a beef distributor in the supply chain. Why don't we call that redistribution? The customer purchased chicken, but his money ended up paying for beef. How is that not the same pattern as a taxpayer paying for roads and having his money spent on health care?

[Edited by - LessBread on August 8, 2008 3:02:12 PM]
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by LessBread

Objectively? Are you certain you're not confusing wealth redistribution with income redistribution? It seems to me that to the extent that health can be thought of as wealth, not helping sick people constitutes wealth redistribution. Taxes appropriated for helping sick people qualify as income redistribution.

Income redistribution is a form of wealth redistribution as far as I see it. I don't see health as wealth.

I was mistaken in writing "objectively." I should have said that I made my preceding statement purely on a semantic level. Just seeing your edit, I do concede that "objective" is completely nonsensical.
Income redistribution is a form of wealth redistribution as far as I see it. I don't see health as wealth.

Then I guess you can't see very far... [grin]

Well I agree but if we could spend $1 and save 20 people from death then I see that as worth the investment though I don't think we should be sending large amounts of money over seas to make it so everyone else can drive SUVs and drink starbucks.
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight club
Quote:Original post by trzy
Quote:Original post by Way Walker
You're still assuming the government is a separate entity that meddles in our affairs. I'm more wondering why it's a separate entity to begin with.

How do you imagine it could be better integrated? Even small organizations which we join, like companies and clubs, have a leadership structure and the "us and them" dynamic comes into play.

I think there's a big difference between "us and them" and "us vs. them". My original question is: why are "they" seen as being (and may even be) separate and against "us" when "they" should be of, by, and for "us"?

Structure may be required for us to get things done efficiently, especially as the group identified as "we" gets larger, but the structure ought to be a means to our ends. Why does it so often seem like we are a means to their ends?

Quote:
Quote:
I don't like the image of the government more integrated in our daily lives either, but that's not what I was suggesting. I was more suggesting us being more integrated in the government's daily life.

Are you picturing more opportunities for government service -- eg., people becoming easily involved in the day to day operations of government as well as the decision making process?

I was thinking both more opportunities for "us" to get involved with the government and ways to make "them" more a part of the people they lead (in the sense of them having to look us in the eye after doing something unpopular and otherwise making them live with their decisions).

This made me think of one way the electoral college could be a good thing. The idea is that a certain distance is felt, in both directions, between the president and the population of the U.S. The hope is that a middle-man could be closer to both the president and the population of the U.S.; the president is more likely to have to look the elector in the eye, and the elector is more likely to have to look us in the eye.

Quote:
Quote:
The picture of the evolution of governments that I've usually seen presented is that as social groups grew bigger they needed to organize themselves. This organization is government. Thus, government is a tool used by large groups of people to efficiently manage their interactions. However, this picture doesn't seem to fit the current reality where the government is a separate entity managing our interactions for us. The slave has become the master.

I don't know about that. Don't primitive societies with limited or no government at all still have a way of managing their peoples' interactions?

In the above picture, these "ways of managing their people's interactions" would be considered "primitive governments". That is, they are the initial structures that will, out of necessity, grow into larger scale government as the society grows.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement