Game Development Courses

Started by
3 comments, last by gambabr 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I'm considering to go to USA or Canada to improve my english skills but I'd also like to take a game development course. Thus, I'd like to know where I can take classes in a short term (6-9 months). What do you recommend? I'm doing a research to find out which place will be better for my needs. Thanks in advance. Regards
Advertisement
I'm not really sure but I think there are online game colleges you can consider as well. Any college you'll typically be there either a semester (~4 months) or a full school year (~8-9 months). Those estimates are basically depending on the schools break schedule. Some schools have speed curriculums where you only take a very few number of classes but you get them done faster (I wouldn't say much faster though).

If you aren't sure about moving I'd suggest the online, otherwise I'd suggest a typical (non-speed) school.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

If you want to get into the game industry, then I would suggest not doing a game development course. Most developers won't hire people with just a game development course, they usually look for more specific or intensive courses, like computer science or C++ courses.I know this because I completed a game development course at university here in England and couldn't get a job with it.
It might be different in America, I doubt it, but it would be worth speaking to a few people in the business and asking them how they got hired.
Quote:Original post by Skateblind
If you want to get into the game industry, then I would suggest not doing a game development course. Most developers won't hire people with just a game development course, they usually look for more specific or intensive courses, like computer science or C++ courses.

Great point! I would absolutely second this. There are many advantages. For instance, you can always work on games and game development in your free time while taking a more generic CS course. Many of your classes will allow you to choose what you want to write about for papers and whatnot and video games and the industry are great ways to twist a generic course into a game-development class without only learning about games. Also, many people apply to game companies and don't get hired but with a general CS degree you'll be qualified for a good position in either a game company or a general IT position (as a backup).

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for replying.

I'm already gratuated in CS, I work as .NET Programmer and I usually study game development in my spare time (Hobby). I've already got C/C++ knowledge, I've done some simple games (Space Shooter, Tetris, Breakout and more).

However, it'd be very nice to join the game industry in a near future. Thus, as I intend to improve my english skills in USA/CANADA, it'd be nice to do some course in this area to get some international certification. (That would make a big diference to get a job in Brazil).

For those who aren't aware, Ubisoft has just established a studio in Brazil (São Paulo) and I'll focus my efforts to work there.

I'm still open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Regards

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement